Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Removable core Kevlar for 170lb
February 29, 2012, 02:37:09 PM
I have never looked at my leader after catching a GT and thought that it had been damaged from their teeth. Maybe I am just lucky?

for whatever reason up here most of our fish seem to be hooked on the outside of the mouth, they rarely inhale it?  I've had one recently though and it had roughed it up a bit.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 02:44:16 PM
GT teeth can definitely damage your leader - particularly if it is a big fish that inhales the lure.

Also an 80 cm length (for example) of kevlar will give some protection against sharp rocks in shallow water,  against GT tail swipes and also a little bit against the razor gang (although not much).

Tail whips are worse in my opinion! Particularly because they can wrap around the tail and knick/damaged the PE.

Of course, monster GT versus light leader can be disaster....even 200lb can be destory easily by GT teeth.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 02:47:48 PM
I have never looked at my leader after catching a GT and thought that it had been damaged from their teeth. Maybe I am just lucky?

for whatever reason up here most of our fish seem to be hooked on the outside of the mouth, they rarely inhale it?  I've had one recently though and it had roughed it up a bit.

Sounds like tentative and shy "swipes" by GT chasing surface bait imitations - i.e. skittering gars?

I find that particularly true to have such hook-ups if GT are behaving in this way. Usually they only bite if the strike is forced upon them by essentially placing the lure on their nose or immediate vicinity rather than high GT activity when they will smoke a lure from miles away....