David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best GT rig for ~50K
February 25, 2012, 09:45:08 PM
Hi Jay,

OK so it's not alloy, but comes in on the money and very well put together.
Had a mate who ran a Stinger out of Townsville and could get out to the outer reef for a fraction of the cost other hull designs could.

Based on Japanese hull design, so very seaworthy. Rated better than the yamaha longboats or southwind, but a longboat design all the same.
http://www.stingerboats.com.au/forsale1.html

Just putting it out there.   ::)

Cheers Dave

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2012, 03:52:35 PM
Jay, I think you really should consider the glass option as well. They aren't as fragile as you think. My Galey floats in 30cm of water and unless your going flat out across bommie strewn area's you won't wreck it. Light as well, got 240l fuel storage and for 40k you'll have change to buy more rods and lures! Hahaha
My other choice when I was looking was the Aussie whaler, nomad use them, exceptional ride and stand up to a reef or 2!
Definitely get a center cab, you'll appreciate it on those wet days. Otherwise you'll need clears for a cc matter what hull shape.
Each to their own hey but definitely check all the options and if you can take them on test drives!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2012, 06:02:27 PM
hmmm... never been happy with glass centre cabs, they tend to put too much emphasis on the 'cab' part of it and they don't really seem to suit my requirements from a fishing perspective  :-\ just love the option of having a fully customisable boat and you can't get this unless you go ally. Couldn't imagine myself cruising up shallow pilbara creeks in a glass boat  ???

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2012, 08:35:21 PM
If your planning to use it in dirty water creeks then yes I agree with you that an alloy boat would be the better choice.

My ride is fully customized (as far as starting with a basic hull and deciding what and where the other bits went), and glass.

I haven't see too many "center cab" glass boats myself but I recon all you need is room for 2 or 3 to stand/sit with spray protection from 3 sides.

I'm really keen to see what you go with Jay 8)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2012, 10:08:45 PM
If your planning to use it in dirty water creeks then yes I agree with you that an alloy boat would be the better choice.

My ride is fully customized (as far as starting with a basic hull and deciding what and where the other bits went), and glass.

I haven't see too many "center cab" glass boats myself but I recon all you need is room for 2 or 3 to stand/sit with spray protection from 3 sides.

I'm really keen to see what you go with Jay 8)

I'm pretty certain I've made up my mind but I don't want to spill the beans until it's confirmed  :-X I'll be sure to update this thread once I get the ball rolling... will be interesting to post progress shots during the build  8)

Realistically I think it's still a few months away... maybe more, need to save up a bit more coin first... but it's in the foreseeable future that's for sure.

Jamie Moir

February 27, 2012, 12:08:46 PM
Nice Southwind!

Stinger? I thought they took that website down, it seems to be back up now? Wasn't Murray trying to sell the moulds? Never really heard the ride is any better on the stinger, but the mod cons are, you get some nice rec-fisher updates over the bare bones southwinds with them.

The second fisher 5.8m cc? ZOMG how far forward is the CC? The ride would be awful.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 02:49:42 PM
Shame the dollars don't stretch to a Commodore centrecab Jay, they are nice looking beasts and locally made.

I also agree about reconsidering the 'glass option.  I originally had a alloy CC for the reasons you mention - hitting stuff and running up onto the beach.  Realistically running your boat onto the beach is a serious pain and once i'd done it once or twice i avoided it like the plauge - incoming tide it just keeps washing up, rocking back and forwards and getting smashed, outgoing tide you strand it and have to wait around to refloat - which is a long process in itself.

As for hitting stuff...well ok, it saved me that once with an unforseen piece of reef  ;) but other than that i think the glass benefits are worth it.

As also mentioned still consider an import from the states - if you can find the right boat you will get a lot more boat for your dollar and it's not as hard as it seems.  If you need an tips or advice on that option PM me. 

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Ben, good input. Maybe a bit bigger than what I'm after though... really looking around the 5.0-5.5m mark. I've noticed the NZ boats have a pretty small fuel tank for their size compared with custom plate boats... maybe due to the narrow beam?

im pritty sure the 5.85 surtees has a 130ltr tank with a under floor kill well too. you could look into getting them to make the kill well a fuel tank too uping the total to say around 150-180ltr? could do the same with the 5.5 going from 80ltr to say 120ltr?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 03:12:27 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with Ally boats but I can tell you my favourite ride ever has been in a Jopalo made in NSW (out Armidale way?).

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 03:30:48 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with Ally boats but I can tell you my favourite ride ever has been in a Jopalo made in NSW (out Armidale way?).

2nd hand option only these days I believe Luke....

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 03:34:44 PM

2nd hand option only these days I believe Luke....

Just did a Google after your post. What a waste!  :(

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 29, 2012, 04:35:17 PM
Ditto that the Jopalo was one of the best tinnies going round real shame

James Yerbury

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 12:32:30 AM
might be worth looking at http://gsmarine.com.au/gallery/v/XtremeBoats/centre/ some nice boats but i cant seem to find prices

some solid boats

i have not emailed to check prices but it might be worth it?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 12:06:58 PM
Thanks James, those GS's really look the part... they're quite expensive (from memory) I've looked into them before. If I decide to go with a custom boat I think I'd prefer a local builder.

James Yerbury

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 01, 2012, 10:01:14 PM
How much are we talking?? I think i have limited my next boat to two builders but that will probably change next week as it always does. I have to get a boat that the wife will be happy to spend a couple hours on so it makes it hard to get a dedicated fishing boat.