Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looks like an awesome fishing and cultural trip fellas - and best part is there was no months and months of anticipation, straight into it!

Just looking at the photo of the big white GT...it has some random blotches of very dark pigment around its head.  Going out on a limb - the black GT's are apparently that colour while they are spawning ie not that colour all year around.  I wonder if post spawning they go through a rapid process of losing or removing the black pigment somehow and this is one of those fish?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Peter, Amazing story on the doggies, a supreme predator. They truly are great sport on topwater lures.

Travis, I have seen those black spots on a lot of captured fish, quite often in photos here as well, it often seems to be around hook damage or where the line or lure has been rubbing. I wonder if this more localised pigmentation is caused by the trauma of the hooks and lure on the skin of the fish. Quite apart from seasonal or breeding pigmentation perhaps??
Set the ray to GeeT

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Travis, I have seen those black spots on a lot of captured fish, quite often in photos here as well, it often seems to be around hook damage or where the line or lure has been rubbing. I wonder if this more localised pigmentation is caused by the trauma of the hooks and lure on the skin of the fish. Quite apart from seasonal or breeding pigmentation perhaps??

That's a very good point Andy - now you mention it i've noticed the black highlighting rub/damage marks as well.

Andrea Traverso

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi Guys,

Great report. Thanks for that. Hope to see you guys again soon.

Just wanted to say that we kept the 2 GTs because they swallowed the poppers and thus where bleeding a lot so no point releasing for nothing. The Maori Wrasse was caught on jig in 40+m and when it came up it had suffered barothroma, had is stomach out of the mouth and was bleeding from the gills. We always try to release the fish we catch but as every fisherman do, we fish with hooks and some fish can't be released some times.

Cheers,
Andrea
Oceanblue Vanuatu.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Andrea, Good to see some new ground being explored, the journey paid off extremely well and i think you guys have explained the situation well enough. We have been exploring and continue to explore new areas in Indonesia and i must say that having locals as friendly as the ones you encountered is a real bonus and it is great to hear they appreciated your offerings so much.

We often get much more hostile receptions as it is kind of hard to do the PR prior to launching such remote expeditions due to the time and cost involved.

Set the ray to GeeT

Anthony Dimech

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Geez Pete, I felt like I was there again after your post! I don't know if that's a good thing ha!
Check out my fishing videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dimech007

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
That sounds awesome - all this talk of popping dogtooth is getting me too excited!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Great read guys, and thanks for the feedback, always welcome.

The chief has welcomed us working with them and has offered the waters around Maskelynes etc exclusively to us. In return they'd like to engage the village if possible, this means they will provide the transfer from the charter plane to the boat, a short trip worth a few dollars per trip.  In addition they'd like the opportunity to sell groups local mudrabs, lobster, oysters, etc etc.
Confusion on the last trip was they asked Dan if he'd like any oysters? he said "6 dozen" (silly Dan for thinking a Ni Vanuatu island who doesn't speak English is familar with buying oysters Sydney Fish Market style..  They came back late that day with 6 x BIG BAGS, each with many many many dozen.  To save embarrasment Anthony & Eric bought the whole lot, still for next to nothing...  lesson learnt...

Invitation to attend a similar village banquet is available to all trips, ie they will kill & roast a pig on a spit, gather seafood, do a custom ceremony etc - all for a nominal amount.  This would be quite a cultural experience & occassion to partake in.

To answer the question about hooks marking fish, here is a GT I got the week after further south from the lodge - bruising appeared quickly.

Cheers David
Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:01:54 PM by David Noble

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Wow! Now thats a trip report, nice job guys awesome pics
GT FIGHT CLUB

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Congrats guys,nice trip.
Another point to my list. ;)

Anthony Dimech

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Great flick Anthony, well done!

andy cooper

great video anthony, i am thinking of going to vanuatu in november with ocean blue (4 spots left)
how did that terez rod go!

Anthony Dimech

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
great video anthony, i am thinking of going to vanuatu in november with ocean blue (4 spots left)
how did that terez rod go!

Well! I have a few now and they are all as good each other (when you consider the small cost to buy).