Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tokara Islands Japan
June 05, 2012, 09:33:26 AM
WOW what a trip Nick and great report. Is that the new Monster Hunter Extreme and if so when will it be avaliable in the shop??? Also when will the lures arrive?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 09:45:28 AM
Wicked report mate,love how they look after the GTs..

Stick bait and popper collection is insane..

Travis Pantohan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 11:35:27 AM
Nice report Nick.  Love that GT replica looks very nice.  That rod, reel and lure collection is unbeliavable.  Awesome.

Jay Brimberry

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 12:49:00 PM
Looks like you all had a outstanding trip.  That is one wicked looking boat, you wouldn't happen to know the specifics about it would you? 

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 12:49:58 PM
Hi Amr, Many thanks, the people make the trip, it is great to travel to new places and learn new cultures, but the Japanese everything is organised, tidy and very courteous. Really welkl worth visiting Japan even if not for fishing!

Hi Ben, We have a few Monster Hunter 80H same as I used on this last trip coming into the shop plus we have most of the lures in the shop already. Great rod and going to be a good all round rod for Southern Oman and Musandam to throw big lures, have enough soft tip to work stickbaits and enough backbone to work poppers and pull big fish, also very light. I'll send you a message when the rods arrive.

Hi Nathan, I had to keep my hands in my pockets! Amazing collection, I battle just to get one or two of those lures and there were hundreds, great t see!

Hi Travis, GT Replica was very good, as Fukui-san also had a big picture of the fish next to the replicas which told a story, big fish for off the shore!! Fukui-sans passion is catching big GTs off the shore and he has certainly caught a few telling by all the pictures!

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 12:52:39 PM
Hi Jay, Many thanks, I don;t have the specifics for the boat but guessing the boat was about 55ft LOA, 10-12ft beam (Quite narrow) and was powered by one 700hp Yanmar inboard. I'll see if I can find out more info and post. The boat for the conditions and type of fishing was perfect a GT weapon!!

Cheers,
Nick

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 01:43:33 PM
Great report and ditto, love that boat!

Cheers David

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 01:50:22 PM
Truly epic report Nick. 

As with previous reports from Tokara (surprisingly few!), it is great to get insights into this most legendary of all GT fishing locations.

Also, it must be said that you have a flair for writing. That comes through in your reports which are always a pleasure to read.

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 06:32:36 PM
Unreal!  I truly enjoyed that report.  Thanks for sharing!

Does anyone know how the GT fishing in Amami compares to the GT fishing in the more southern Okinawan islands?

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 10:12:23 PM
Congrats Nick, and Sami! Looks like an awesome trip!! You guys must be 2 of the luckiest In The world to spend your hours doing what you love!! And to go to 'GT Mecca' is something few can experience!! Congrats on awesome fishing, and thank you for sharing your experience!

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 10:32:15 PM
Unreal!  I truly enjoyed that report.  Thanks for sharing!
Does anyone know how the GT fishing in Amami compares to the GT fishing in the more southern Okinawan islands?

Ken,
According to Fukui-san the fishing around Amami could be very good on certain time and tide,
on the first date we hit it right and Nick manage to land the biggest fish around Amami's area, another group fished Amami and had descent results.
it has to do with prime time, right conditions and a bit of luck :)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 05, 2012, 10:49:37 PM
Hi Mark, Many thanks, just want to try and give a bit of insight into what we experienced. Awesome place and hopefully go back next year!

Hi ken, As Sami said I think it is down to local knowledge and seasons. It is something that I understand you might fish a whole trip and only have a couple of chances and it is mainly deep fishing but when the fish does come a lot of the time they are big. But any chance you get to go good or bad times is worth the trip, great experience.

Hi Matt, Many thanks! Learnt a few tricks for Southern Oman next season!! Hit it!

Cheers,
Nick

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 06, 2012, 01:52:59 AM
Hats off and congrats to Nick and Sami!!!!
Great pics and report!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
June 06, 2012, 08:29:45 AM
Awesome written report and photo's Nick.

It felt like I was on the trip with you guys!

Any chance of letting us know what the measurements of the fish were?
Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:41:23 AM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Daniel Klemm

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 06, 2012, 08:37:59 AM
Always a pleasure to read your reports Nick!

Thanks for sharing, I hope I can fish those Carpenter lures next year in Musandam...

Cheers,
Daniel