More pics added ..
Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:09:50 PM by ed nicholas

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stunning stuff Ed, really stunning.

And it is only 3 weeks into the season!

Big dog's fish is certainly one of the biggest GTs I have ever seen in a picture.

That massive Indian Pennant Fish would surely have been an all tackle world record (currently 16 kgs). 
Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:14:59 PM by Mark Harris

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi Ed

Great stuff! Am glad you have come into season two with some good captures!

Best regards,
Peter
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Monster fish Ed that's the biggest pennant or whatever guys like to call it I've ever seen. What did that dinosaur GT hit, and what kind of gear did your client use to tame that beast?
GT FIGHT CLUB

chris caley

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Great stuff mate.

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for the comments. We have had a number of Pennant Fish the past year or so but none any where near that size, think i was just as happy as when we guide guests to huge GT with that fish. Considering the side profile of the Pennant they are very thin but such a beautiful species. 3 followed that fish all the way to the boat!

The dinosaur inhaled what is one of my favorite Poppers - Craft Bait GT3, Black 190g. I can still fish this lure very hard in choppy water and not worry about wasting my cast by pulling the lure tumbling through the air. Scotty was using a Ripple Fisher Fanta-stick, PE10, Stella 18k. What is really great is that i suggested he buy the lure before he came so to get the result we had is very satisfying. When the fish came up next to the boat we just could not believe our eyes and it took 3 of us to pull it in so we could gently rest it on the deck instead of bashing it down, great care needs to be taken to keep these fish in pristine condition.

On another note take a look at one of the carbontex drag washers from my SOM 18k spool which i have only fished for around 6 weeks .. little disappointed to be honest considering the price of the spool. All need replacing already .. anyone else have this problem?

Robert Balkow

Hello Ed,

which YAMAGA Blue Sniper Rod you were using?
Thanks

Robert

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Scotty is surely a monster of a man - yet that is a beast!!! Congrats to all!! A lifetime fish.....

Curious on the dimensions of that bad boy?? Must be one of the biggest recorded recently? I know when they past 50kg normal considerations may be forgotten, but did u get a chance to weigh it with the sling?

Congrats again, and what a fine species selection the Omani waters hold!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Well done Ed great stuff, congratulations to Scotty that is a true leviathon come to the shallows.

Go to be there with the biggest GT ever caught on casting gear...nuts.

Set the ray to GeeT

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The dinosaur inhaled what is one of my favorite Poppers - Craft Bait GT3, Black 190g. I can still fish this lure very hard in choppy water and not worry about wasting my cast by pulling the lure tumbling through the air.

Great  ;D It just happens that I have this exact lure already packed in my lure bag for the upcoming trip... it's very interesting as I almost decided to exclude it from my selection  :-\ Obviously it will definitely be making an appearance now, whether it catches any decent fish is another story  :P

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Nice work Ed and team  8)

What were the measurements?

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
Rob - Blue Sniper 7'6 PE4. Awesome rod but wishing i had gone with the slightly longer PE3 as i fish inshore alot and for some of the bigger Bream and Queenies that rod would have been perfect. Great blanks though.

Jaybo - Glad you got the monster slayer, we all obviously have our own preferences but i really do like those GT3's and have just had 4 more arrive :)

Matt & Luke - thanks for the comments .. Fish was hooked badly in the fleshy part below the Gill Plates and took a while to get the hooks out even though we have a barbless boat policy on all hooks. We ended up tagging & measuring (length only) the fish while it was on our laps with my primary concern focusing on the well being of the fish. It measured out to 157cm on our laps which is obviously not an accurate way to measure the fish which is why i left out this number from my reports. What i can say though is that we have had fish this length before but non the same height and roundness of this beast. Fish is not on any angle or pic taken with any lense to magnify the proportions, just a true Dinosaur. matt hopefully you can entice it next time you are here with one of your Born lures :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Rob - Blue Sniper 7'6 PE4. Awesome rod but wishing i had gone with the slightly longer PE3 as i fish inshore alot and for some of the bigger Bream and Queenies that rod would have been perfect. Great blanks though.

Now who gave you that idea? :) :) :)

As Ed also intimates, the Blue Sniper 77/3 is a perfectly balanced rod for Southern Oman inshore species I think.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
cool seems like a big Fish! - congrats to the angler!!

I don't wanna rehash old statements... but I think when you're  nearing world records.... accurate measurements have to be taken to claim a fish a few kilos shy of the top - or weigh it.

anyways congrats again to the Scotty.

and at the moment any form of GT on one of my lure would be a result!!!