Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Corey, definitely class!

Hi Alex! Definitely long casts are going to get more hits as more time in the water. Using thinner braid longer rods will work but also got to be able to stop the fish and not break off, I think a fine line and will take a bit of time to get the balance right, but I think the new EP82/42 is going to be an excellent rod for PE8 and been able to get distance but have power. Musandam in March is not to far away.........

Cheers,
Nick

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome report as usual Nick - might be able to get a job on anyones trip as scribe #1!!

Its quite incredible seeing their 'soft' and highly technical method - over our clearly aggressive and brash technique.

those prints looks awesome!! keen to see them!

and congrats on the weighing! simple but effective method of being 100% exact!

curiously did you find the weight you expected after measurement = actual weight? good to know if the 'ratios' are right....

congrats to all! and very jealous of all your trips this year!

good luck on the next, sure you'll have some long arms when you get back!

taniy

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
It is just GREAT!!
Fukui-san and his group really appreciated you and your colligues.

Oh! now Fukui-san is building his new boat!
Luke will ride his brand-new boat in next year at Tokara!!

Keep poppin'!! ;)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Howzit Matt, Many thanks, just happy my Saffa english is understood to some extent........A lot of the time things happen so fast on the trips you tend to forget and always cool to relive it through writing it down and thinking about the trip! We have been using lighter drags and set ups for a while but not to this extent and it was awesome to see the number of hits, hook ups and landing of big fish, there is definitely a time and place for both methods but with the softer approach you going to have to be a lot more technical and exact like measuring drag setting before fishing, testing leaders etc. You have to now the set up 110%, no just getting up and cast. But I learnt a good deal and will be trying a few of the methods out. We live and learn!

For weighing the fish this was very interesting as we have weighed a few fish last season and if were not bang on the weight we were only about 1kg out on most of the fish weighed from our estimating model, but then on this trip a few of the fish were below. The first 146cm fish weighed in at 56kgs, I put the fish at 57kgs. Then the 140cm fish I put at 51kgs but came in at 48kgs, The 149cm fish weighed 57kgs (3cm difference from the 146cm but only 1 kg weight difference, but the fish was slimmer than most) The big 155cm I put at 67kgs was 65kgs, so I was out a few kgs. But shows that if you want to put a weight on paper the only way to do it is get an exact weight. I have seen thousands of GTs landed and consider myself a fairly good judge of size and weight, but can be wrong as it is an estimate at the end of the day. This is the main reason we now only put the length and no weights anymore in the reports, if the fish is not weighed as there is so much room for discrepancies and a lot of people to use the details for various reasons or promotion. Clients always ask on the boats what we think the weight is if we take the measurements and we will give an estimate but this is purely for personal information on the boat and never intended to be published, but sometimes does end up in reports but as long as it is said to be an estimate then is alright to some extent as the angler is obviously very proud of a great catch. But this time the GTs were weighed and I'm happy to put up the weight as official and not a maybe or around Xkg weight. We are not going to weigh all the fish all of the time unless we can get everyone involved on the boat to look after the fish and weigh, measure, flush gills, get picture and release the fish in a reasonable time, but if the opportunity arises that the fish can be weighed we will do it if we have the scales on the boat and in a good working order and build up our information and experience with size vs weight. It is always going to be a point of discussion and I'd much rather focus on the fish and a catch of a lifetime for an angler than end up the fish been queried so measurements for me is good enough and a great picture even better!

Started packing for Tanzania, very excited to go as my first time and a new destination to catch a GT and hopefully some doggies, but also just a new adventure!

Hi Taniy-san! Many thanks for the feedback, it was awesome to have Fukui-san and group in Southern Oman and very glad they caught some great fish. They were great guys and really good company and fisherman. Also would like to say many thanks for all your help with setting up the trip and patience! Look forward to meeting up soon! New Big Dipper, the old one is a machine the new one is going to be a proper GT weapon, can't wait to see it!!

Cheers,
Nick

Arturo Zambarrano Jr.

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
SUPER AWESOME CATCHES!!!!  One day I'll be there getting my azz smoked!! 

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Well done Nick,appreciated the detail and pics
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey Nick, Thanks for the reply - indeed the 'fatness' of the fish can make a huge diff, awesome to weigh the fish and get the exact weight down!! but as you say needs some team work to keep the fish safe and healthy. clearly you guys had awesome fishing to say the least! congrats again! and could we time warp to april already?!?!?!

i always enjoy the fact that the Japanese guys respect each other other so much during a fight, all the other lines come in, and love the 'post fight' talk they have - discuss tactics and plans for the next drift. real respect for the fish!

congrats to all once again!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Arturo, welcome anytime! Plenty of fish willing to hand out a bit of a hurting........

Hi Neville, Many thanks!

Howzit Matt, The fatness of the fish is a huge factor and usually we can tell quite quickly if the fish is within the normal range that we use or above or below, but not an exact science. But having everyone help on the boat is a big plus and gets the fish back in the water quicker. I think with like anything you have to have goals and once an angler has achieved the goal of catching a GT, or a 40kg, 50kg, 60kg whatever it maybe then is great to enjoy the moment and realise you've achieved the goal you set out and just enjoy. I think the guys on the trip did this very well and also gives the angler time to catch his breath and enjoy the spot light. But also a big respect for an amazing animal! Look forward to April maybe a few planning braais in order?!

Cheers,
Nick

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome Nick,

Living the dream mate,wicked report!  8)

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
great fishing with the legend himself ! drooling at all the prototypes.....cant wait to experience the fishing myself this coming march !

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
great fishing with the legend himself ! drooling at all the prototypes.....cant wait to experience the fishing myself this coming march !

Charlie! We look forward to having you  ;D 8) 8) 8)

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Charlie! We look forward to having you  ;D 8) 8) 8)

yes ! please hang on to us !

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Charlie, he is definitely a legend and deserves his reputation, and the best part is is a very relaxed and extremely helpful person. Look forwad to meeting up with you guys when you come over! No worries I've become very good at catching guys before they go in the water, but every now and then I play like the SA cricket team and drop the ball...........Will be an awesome trip and always a pleasure having Luke and group over here!

Cheers,
Nick

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Awesome trip report with a GT legend, love the Hawaii shirt! ;D Gyotaku prints are very popular in Hawaii, I have a print of my first GT caught framed sitting above my dinner table.

I have heard that Fukui-san likes to catch GT's from shore, did he try any shore fishing in Oman?

Aloha,

Charles
GT FIGHT CLUB

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Does anyone know what type of singles Fukui-San was using on the blue fish.?they appear to have a very fine profile.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!