Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dampier Port Popping Video
January 03, 2013, 07:52:42 PM
Cool litte vid a good mate of mine put toghether for me
he is pretty handy with a video camera and when we saw some bait getting busted up along one of the pylons decided it was probably worth a chuck of a popper or two.  Small fish but good fun in a small boat especially without anything lean against

enjoy...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Dampier Port Popping Video
January 03, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
Some really nice footage there Brad.  Small boats with nothing for support make for a lot of arm work!

Great stuff.

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 04, 2013, 08:09:45 AM
Nice little video Brad.

Mark i am surprised there was no comment from you about the Aussie casting technique (a lot of Aussie cast this way) . As the guy in the video casts left handed and changes to a right hand wind.
Cheers,
Rob

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 04, 2013, 11:38:21 AM
yeah  I do, call it bad technique, i dont mind.  i cast both right and left handed with the same result these days, fishing on a crowded boat taught me how to do that.  Then there is the old arguement that you should wind left handed because your right arm is stronger then the left, well my left arm is equally as strong as my right, so are my shoulders and just about everyting else. I guess the years in the gym earlier in life ensured that the strength was the same on both sides of my body.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2013, 11:43:16 AM
Great skill to be able to do that Brad and it is so useful on a crowded boat.  Wish I could do it without looking like an idiot - the wrong-handed cast is always embarrassing when I try!
Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:49:39 AM by Mark Harris

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
January 04, 2013, 07:01:45 PM
Awesome little clip!
ebbtidetackle.com

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2013, 08:34:04 PM
Brad there was no way was i knocking your casting technique at all. In the past Mark has made a comment about Aussies and there casting and i was surprised he did not comment on it that's all. I could surf ambidextrous as a young bloke and i know how long it took me to learn switch foot on the board. I doubt i could now days as the waist line is not the same.
Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:35:47 PM by Rob Langridge
Cheers,
Rob

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 05, 2013, 01:05:23 AM
I know you wernt mate, all good just making comment. 

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 05, 2013, 12:39:01 PM
Man they throw some water

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 11:58:36 AM
I cast ambidextrous as well and have done since the day I started popping. I always thought it was normal until I fished with Nomad and they explained that barely anyone did it  ???

I'm a right hander and I wind with my right hand and hold the rod with my left. I generally tend to cast more with my left arm forward (ie release the line with my left finger, don't know whether you call this left or right handed casting?) to avoid having to change arms after the cast

I once watched Kasey Leong try to cast the 'wrong' way and saw him just about throw his whole outfit in the water... so funny!  ;D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 01:42:40 PM
Jay, I suspect so much of how people crank/cast is defined by the way they are taught when young kids.

I have always been curious as to why so many Australians I meet tend to crank with the right hand when they are right handed (much more so than in other parts of the world), and I guess that stems back to what you are taught at a young age?  Must be pain in for tackle shops as  spinning reels are invariably left hand crank from the factory.

There is of course no right or wrong way to do it - whatever makes the angler feel most comfortable.

I am most envious of those like yourself who can do it both ways without looking like a complete idiot!
Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:46:24 PM by Mark Harris

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 07:57:30 PM
I am most envious of those like yourself who can do it both ways without looking like a complete idiot!

I can cast both ways but I can't crank both ways  ;D

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 08:23:47 PM
Mark,
I think the right hand Australians dates back to local reel manufacturers like alvey sidecast which were all right handed(or vast majority). The first I can recall of ever seeing a left hand reel was probably Daiwa thread lines in the mid 70's. I can't remember any lefties in the 60's
I have always cranked right hand but reckon I am doing it right as I'm a natural leftie. Also cast with left hand releasing line but can "backhand" cast nearly as well as forward due to crowded little boats being normal.

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 10:10:04 PM
Graham my father used to use the left handed Garcia Mitchell 300 reel back in the late 60's. And i still have my first ever Daiwa reel i bought in the mid 70's as a young fella from my milk run and paper run money. It is a Daiwa GS2050 with a graphite body and spool and you can inter change the handle from left to right.
Not meaning to go off subject here but Graham has me reminiscing about the good old days.
Cheers,
Rob

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2013, 11:21:47 PM
Awesome lil vid there Brad! Amazing the amount of water the WCP's throw for the effort spent!!