Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Joining PE 8 Line Together - Which Better Knot
January 18, 2013, 09:27:19 PM
Hi Guy's,  :)

Hope everyone is well.

Now, I've a 6000 Daiwa spool with it half full of YGK PE 8 now. It's down by maybe 150 mtrs over time due to those pesky leatheries bites off's whilst jigging.

In wanting to top it up with spare YGK PE 8 line that I have lucky spare that there is also about 150 mtrs on a spool.

Now, I would use the double uni knot in joining the lines together and topping up the spool for using for popping/stickbaiting for GT's, Tuna & Kingfish.

What other knots would people tie as their joining PE 8 line together and feel relatively comfortable it would hold enough if it would get down to the joining knot with a strong running fish and/or deep in the depths fight.

Appreciate any experiences and/or thoughts with types of other knots for using.

Regards

Leo

Dean Gold

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Leo,

I have only used double uni knots in nylon. For your situation I would make a bimini on each end and join them with a cats paw. keep the bimini short, only long enough to get the spool through to form the cats paw. I wouldn't want to be casting this knot but for jigging it should be fine.

Not sure if this is how any one else does it but it has worked for me.

DG

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Leo,

I'll second Dean's suggestion on this as I was going to say the same.

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:21:17 PM by Ian Cook

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Leo, my answer would be short - do not do it!  Joined main line is a recipe for disaster. It's time to invest in some new line.
Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:10:55 AM by Mark Harris

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Dean & Ian for your thoughts, not a bad set up that one...........should try that.

Thanks Mark & Amr for your thoughts, I now where there is risk better don't try it......

Regards

Leo 

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I wouldn't risk it either.It could spoil a fantastic days fishing.When you look at the "costs" involved in GT fishing ,the cost of the braid is one of the smallest.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
When I go remote areas to fish and i get spooled, bust offs and so on and my spools get shy of line and tackle shops are a long way off, I just simply splice/plat my braid together so I can keep on fishing, my platted? Knot has not failed yet and it cast through guides no worries at all

Darius Smulkstys

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi,

In my opinion, joining main line is a disaster waiting to happen. That's why I switched to Jerry Brown hollow, you can always replace any length of worn or twisted line by splicing on a new piece.

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I fi get stuck and have to join two sections of braid i follow the following process.
Grab a short piece of 200 lb leader (6 inches long max).
Tie a FG or Pr knot to one end of the leader, then to other end end join the next section of braid via another PR or FG knot.
Try to use as supple a leader as possible becuase it wont sit on the reel nicely at all.
Its not ideal but this method has helped me out on a couple of trips when we got stuck, it does work out to be a very strong connection though.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi All,

Appreciate all the follow up thoughts and ideas.......

That FG or PR knot join sounds a good one........I'll sure be giving that a go.

Thanks all.

Regards

Leo

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I fi get stuck and have to join two sections of braid i follow the following process.
Grab a short piece of 200 lb leader (6 inches long max).
Tie a FG or Pr knot to one end of the leader, then to other end end join the next section of braid via another PR or FG knot.
Try to use as supple a leader as possible becuase it wont sit on the reel nicely at all.
Its not ideal but this method has helped me out on a couple of trips when we got stuck, it does work out to be a very strong connection though.

Really neat emergency solution Mark!  For those times when you have no choice, that's a great way of dealing with the problem.