Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video Socotra Island Yemen the Last GT Frontier
January 20, 2013, 01:52:03 AM
After many year of planning and wanting to fish Socotra Island we did an exploratory trip in October which was very successful and opened the way for us to start planning trips and setting up an operation on Socotra with a local partner on the island.

This is a short video of our exploratory trip with Sami from Saltywater Tackle, Barry Kurten a good mate from Abu Dhabi and Luke Wyrsta from GT Popping in Australia. This could have been 2 hours long with all of the fish and scenery that we got on the trip. Some amazing fishing from tiny tiller arm boats with 40hp outboards, all part of the adventure and experience!

This is an amazing place and hardly touched by modern day worries and issues and is a pure adventure to visit. There are monster GTs in huge currents and a multitude of other species to target and all from tiny boats. This is a trip for experienced, fit and adventurous anglers. But there is also lots of amazing fauna and flora to be seen from the famous Dragon Blood Tree to clear mountain streams to pure white beaches. So much to experience and explore if you make the trip. This is a once in a lifetime experience!

We will be starting our trips from April 13. For more information please contact us or send me a mail at [email protected] or you can check out out FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Cheers
Nick

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Cool vid, Nick!

Thanks for sharing
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
Fantastic Nick
You have really brought the Socotra Island trip report to life with putting us the viewer in the boat with you.

ps: i think the gaff needs an upgrade  ;D
Cheers,
Rob

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Rob, The funny part is all the boats have similar gaffs, when I first saw it I was a bit nervous but worked well and all part of the experience!

Cheers,
Nick

Travis Pantohan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Dam Nick another awesome report.  Those gaffs are unreal.  Looks really challenging also on those boats.  Nice report.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Great work Nick, awesome to see the trip in video after the amazing writing and imagery of the report...

And love he music...  Can't be many gtpopping clips that kick off with a Just Jinger track!!!  ;D
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Travis, Many thanks, the gaffs are something special and when I first saw them I thought it was something out of medieval times, but they actually worked very well as the are blunt so in a small unstable boat there is no safety issue and also the gaff lies in water all day so going to get messed up anyway. The boats are definitely an experience all in itself especially after being used to our 37ft and 40ft center consoles in Oman! But you get used to it and really good fun.

Howzit Nepps! Many thanks was great to have been able to put a bit of a vid to give a visual! I thought a bit of Just Jinger would do the trick, love those guys!!

Cheers,
Nick

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Nice one Big guy  :)
Can't wait to go back in April, i think 2 weeks of training in Southern Oman prior to hit Socotra later in April will be an ideal step  ;)
2014 is going to be a busy year :D

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I think we will need a chiropractor after April! Can't wait! Going to be an awesome year!

Cheers,
Nick