Jonathan Yeh

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT rod suggestion
February 22, 2013, 03:34:54 PM
Hi everyone !!

I want to add another rod into my popping collection. For larger size popper in 200g~+ range, and occasionally large stickbait
Are the following two rods being equal in terms power, line rating, and good for working on those lure range?
Fisherman gt game TRSH, Ripplefisher GT78XH

Which one will you chose Or any other better preferred suggestion?

THANKS!!!!!

James Wang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: GT rod suggestion
February 22, 2013, 09:34:03 PM
Monster Hunter 79XH?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 22, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
Jonathan, if you read our guide to GT rods and use the search function, you will find plenty of relevant information
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 22, 2013, 10:59:14 PM
MH79XH is not ideal for poppers 200 grams+ in my view.

Jonathan Yeh

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 24, 2013, 08:17:32 AM
I have a silly question for the experts. If i decided to go with the GT78XH, all i have read about it it is a great heavy duty popper rod.
But can it handle an occasional large stick bait? or it will not work a stick bait properly at all. Thanks

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 24, 2013, 09:34:13 AM
The 78xh n trsh are not comparable rods. The 78xh is a broomstick and awesome for workin large poppers. The trsh will work large poppers but its hard work. The trsh has a softer tip and will work stickbaits also. If your after a heavy chugging rod go the xh.
If your good with a rod you can work large stickbaits with anything. I used a widowmaker for 200 gammas, certainly isn't the best rod for it I've used but still caught fish with it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 24, 2013, 09:49:48 AM
Jonathan, the 78XH is indeed a very capable rod for big heavy poppers. Just make sure you're capable enough for the rod though! I got broken in half by the prototype of this rod on a trip some four to five years ago after being hooked up to a stubborn fish for some 20 minutes.

The last person we had here who was obsessed by this rod and PE12 was never heard from again! He could leg press 70kg though .......  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!