Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Official Ambassador for Southern Oman
June 04, 2013, 03:24:16 PM
As our season draws to a close I have had a chance to sit back & reflect on what has been an exceptional year for us. After only a couple seasons operating full time from our home in S.Oman No Boundaries has made a great impact on the GT scene welcoming guests and renowned Anglers from all over the World and setting an unprecedented standard in accommodation, fishing vessels and promotion of conservation in the region.

As a direct result from our hard work and promotion of Southern Oman I was delighted when I was contacted by the Ministry of Tourism who had nominated No Boundaries as the official Ambassador for Southern Oman an award which we went on to win. It is a privilege to be awarded such an honor and thanked for our hard work and most of all commitment to living in a very remote part of Dhofar something only a select handful do.

Last update and one of the most significant is that No Boundaries in now endorsed by Ripple Fisher/Yamaga and we are the exclusive distributer for the Japanese hand crafted blanks across the Middle East  ;D Knowing the rods well and having seen what they are capable of the past few seasons it is a great that they see No Boundaries as a worthy operator to sponsor and carry their products.

With over 5,000 views now I am sure most who read this will have seen the 52kg GT hook up boat side and the amazing fish landed through March & April. There are still some excellent dates available over that period and surprisingly even during November which has proven time and time again to be an excellent month for the Geets, AJ and many other species.

Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:29:52 PM by ed nicholas

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Official Ambassador for Southern Oman
June 04, 2013, 04:09:20 PM
Ed,

Well done, that's quite an honour. I'm sure it's a worthy reward for the committment you've shown to the area.

Your new initiatives also highlight something that I and everyone who's spent time there realises, it's not just a GT fishery. The opportunities are immense.

Regards,

Trevor 
Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:19:01 PM by Trevor Skinner

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 04, 2013, 06:18:34 PM
What a great year/season you have had mate.

Huge congratulations on the official accolade - nobody deserves it more as a reward for the time and effort you have put in down there.  It is so good to have operators out there who are really doing it right.

It has been a lot of fun watching your operation develop and the next stage is about to begin it seems.

Great stuff and kudos to you, Angela, Yassir and Mohammed.
Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:25:09 PM by Mark Harris

chris caley

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 04, 2013, 10:13:19 PM
Has been great to see you succeed mate and we are really happy for you and the No Boundaries family.

Now I think you better send me some pricing for the Ripple Fisher rods so I can place an order ASAP!!!!!!

Tight lines and cold beers

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 04, 2013, 10:32:55 PM
Thats awesome Ed, congrats on the award man... :)

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
June 05, 2013, 11:19:01 AM
What an honor Ed!  Well done mate you are clearly doing something right - well quite a bit actually!!!  brilliant ;D
ebbtidetackle.com

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2013, 02:07:08 PM
Thank you very much for the kind comments, super stoked. Trev thanks for commenting bud, i have tried hard promoting the inshore stuff and its amazing collection of species, very glad people are starting to take note that there is so much more here than monster GT, if they are not on why waste time chuckin 200g at nothing. It can be hard to persuade people to leave the islands alone but if you want to end the day covered in slime then its the way to go.

JC - Will be great to finally meet you when you come over with Mark Harris (hi mate!). John Cahill & Andrew Smith have recently launched the lure locker, top lads and after a brief enquiry the other day for some lures i was sent a full personalised PDF with all the info you could ever want. Very very impressive and more of a service than i have ever received from any online store. Wish you guys all the best, check out their shizzle here www.ebbtideadventures.com 

Clem - My reels arrive today  ;D Feel lost with out them and cant wait to sit for hours just feeling how smooth they are after your magic.

Chris - PM sent to your gmail account bro, some SICK rods on their way over to Oman. I have purchased the 8'2 long cast, would have never ordered that rod rated as pe8 for these monsters but after seeing it in action and abused it with pe10, locked drag, boat side hook ups it really is a machine. Anyways see mail and let me know what you think bro.

I will be posting our latest tagging report soon. What is incredible is that after 2 seasons and tagging a substantial amount of GT we have still only heard of 1 re-capture! More to follow and some exciting developments on the tagging front.
Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:19:54 PM by ed nicholas

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2013, 04:33:50 PM
Congrats, keep up the good work

Bertrand Picarda

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 06, 2013, 10:45:50 PM
You should rename your operation GT Boot Camp ! Congrats for the award, well done. I look forward to having the chance to return.
All the best
Bertrand

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 07, 2013, 12:10:16 AM
Congrats Ed for your job!

Vincenzo

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
June 07, 2013, 06:39:49 PM
Hell yes Ed, congrats and richly deserved my friend!!!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2013, 01:01:13 PM
You should rename your operation GT Boot Camp !

That is very apt my friend, especially for those of "advancing years". I am determined to get back into better shape this summer and the main motivation is October at No Boundaries.

By the way, just noticed that your video is up to 5,300 hits!
Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:44:08 PM by Mark Harris

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 10, 2013, 03:53:54 PM
Once again thanks to all for taking the time to post on this thread, stoked to see some great Anglers sending on their regards.

The timing seems perfect to share the latest news regarding our tagging programme and conservation plans here in S.Oman thanks to the thread started yesterday about where these monsters come from. How incredible is it that we have no information on this species, how to identify Male/Female, age etc. It is exciting to see more anglers starting to take an interest in the subject.

We have now tagged over 500 GT in 2 years and only had 1 recapture from Luke Wrysta's group in March. This really adds mystery to the Omani Geets .. some suggest they are dying on release (I do not support this theory) and others suggest they have seen fish recaught a day or 2 later with clear hook marks but if this was the case then fishing the same islands/spots week in week out would surely produce recaptures of tagged fish?

In order to put everyones theories to the test i am pleased to share with you that next season we will be selecting a pristine GT or 2 to receive a Sat tag that will relay information to us on the fishes movements/depth etc  :D

Now these tags are bloody expensive and although i have personally funded our tagging programme so far we will now be doing some fund raising over the next 4 months. The main fund raising event will involve me trekking 100km through Salalah over 4 days in a full GT costume at the end of July  8)

My aspirations for conservation over here is not just limited to my love of GTs but the Ocean in general. I was given a wonderful childrens book for my little boy about this Turtle dude who heads onto the reef too see his buddies. While there he goes to eat a jelly fish which is actually a plastic bag and the story is of all the reef fish trying save him. I will be translating the book into Arabic (with alot of help!) and we will distribute 5,000 copies to the children in the small villages such as the one we lived in.

Seeing how much rubbish they throw in the sea is alarming but they simply do not know any better. It is too late to educate the adults on these subjects but by trying with the kids we may be able to make some progress. It is worth a try right!

I would be delighted if GT Popping readers would like to get involved in supporting this movement with a small donation. Plenty of time to have a think about that as i need to set up a new pay pal account after loosing my cred card :( I will share more details soon.

Any thoughts please feel welcome to share ..
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:16:57 AM by ed nicholas

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 10, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
Ed in a GT costume trekking in Salalah..... that is borderline surreal :) .

Great cause though. I have looked at the cost of satellite tags and it is huge, so fund raising definitely needed. And how good will it be having that sort of information about the movement of GTs. Apart from anglers themselves this is the sort of initiative tackle manufacturers  should be supporting.

Look forward to updates on these ventures Ed.