Daniel Wen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CARPENTER! EP 82/38 or CV 79/40
July 03, 2013, 11:51:26 PM
Hi all!  ;)

Im looking for a rod to bring to the maldives for some GT fishing! I want the rod to be primarily a stickbait rod but not to the extent of being unable to work poppers-simply put something versatile but leaning towards the sticbait side!

Truth be told, I've never fished with a carpenter and honestly Im quite confused as to which carpenter rod would suit me the best! Im from Singapore and there are rarely any shops that have a regular supply of carpenters as such I am unable to load up the rods. That being said if anyone knows of any online store that carries carpenter rods do let me noe!

Now correct me if Im wrong but the CV would be more a popping rod but would still be capable of working large stickbaits while the EP more of a stickbaiting rod right? I am more sold on the EP tho! advice?

Also is it worth getting myself a custom made carpenter? sad to say the website is messy as hell...  :-[ and the order process as well as cost is fairly vague. Anyone who has custom made a carpenter here? Was the waiting time very long? I heard it can be up to a yr!!!???

pls share if you have any other recommendation for stickbaiting rods! budget below $1500 USD.

I was thinking of pairing the rod with either a 2013 Stella 14k XG or a either a 2009 Stella 10k with SOM 16K no limits spool. I will be loading PE 6.  What would you guys suggest?

thks!
Daniel

Daniel Wen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: CARPENTER! EP 82/38 or CV 79/40
July 04, 2013, 12:01:22 AM
i will be fishing on board a smaller boat that will be able to get close to the reefs, so distance is not an issue!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 12:10:47 AM
Hi Daniel

I have both the rods you mention and they are two rods which I use often.

I have heard disagreements on this, but I think CV79/40 is slightly stiffer tipped. It's a close run thing though.  Either rod is suitable for chuggers up to about 140 grams (but perfect for lures like Seafrog 120 gram, Cubera 125 gram etc) and medium sized stickbaits.  Either will fish OK with the PE6 line that you mention.

Everyone tells me that casting distance is paramount in the Maldives in which case EP82/38 might be your best bet. Whichever you choose you will not go far wrong. They are both wonderful rods.

Your coments about the Carpenter website and custom rod ordering process made me chuckle... hard to disagree with you :) .

If you look here you will see some ideas for Carpetner custom rods: http://www.carpenterlures.com.au/rod/custom/custom-rod-gallery-4.aspx
Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:12:30 AM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 03:47:51 PM
Hi Daniel,

Great to hear you looking at a Carpenter, word of warning if you go down the Carpenter route it is very hard to go to anything else!! For Maldives you want a longer lighter rod that can give you good casting distance and from my experience cast stickbaits between 80-120gr seem to work best in Maldives. CV79/40 is not really a rod for Maldives and has to much power and to short.

I would say rods to consider are possibly EP82/38 but more EP85/36 (my perfect Maldives rod), EP86/40 (bit more power in case a big fish comes along) or LR88 (casts like a rocket). All good with a 14000 and PE6. Casting with the longer Carpenters takes a bit of getting used to as they have a slower taper than most rods and you have to really push hard to load them, but once you get used to them they are amazing, cast a mile and fighting a fish is a pleasure.

Shop wise there are several www.carpenterlures.com.au, Pro Shop Mogi, Saltywater Tackle, Jon Li or if you cannot find we have in our shop in Dubai. The custom route is a long process and you have to fill out the custom request form in Japanese so need translation which can be a bit of a mission but well worth it if you willing to go through the effort.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Nick

Daniel Wen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 08:51:54 PM
Hi Brandon!
yes really detailed and awesome write up!  ;D thks!

Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:09:10 PM by Daniel Wen

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 09:33:22 PM
Daniel,

I'm no physicist but doesn't all that imply a stiff lever. What if the lever folds as happens with a parabolic action rod, particularly like the Carpenters?

In my experience, from a practical stand point the longer Carpenters are just as easy (if not arguably easier) to use in terms of fighting a fish as their shorter stiffer counterparts.

As far as I'm aware the 38 and 40 nomenclature relates to the lifting power of the blank, mainly as relates to the butt section of the rod. I have a BLC 83/35 and an EP 85/36 and although they have similar lifting ability they have very different tip and middle section profiles.

Regards,

Trevor 
Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:38:17 PM by Trevor Skinner

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 09:46:57 PM
Nick, I will happily leave it to you to respond to Daniel .....  :o

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 10:04:34 PM
Maaaaannnnnn  :o

Just go and buy a fishing rod.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 10:08:05 PM
Ooops!

A case of fools rush in then.

I'll get my coat..................

Trevor

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 10:13:54 PM
LOL @ Trevor :)

Daniel Wen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 04, 2013, 11:43:46 PM
blehhhh sorry! my bad! :'(

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 05, 2013, 03:13:26 AM
blehhhh sorry! my bad! :'(

I think what the guys are saying Daniel is, you can't go wrong buying a Carpenter product. Nick's advice is from experience and he one of the best in the business...  ;)

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 05, 2013, 03:55:11 AM
Daniel,

Sam is exactly correct.

I tried to justify the science, badly.....in those terms I have no idea what I'm talking about. Remind me to count to 1000 before I attempt to answer a question like that again.

I have, however, caught some reasonable fish on Carpenter rods and have seen Nick catch even bigger ones, quite a few of them. Brandon wrote the book and Mark is right in the thick of it.

It's good advice, follow it.

Trevor 
Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:00:44 AM by Trevor Skinner

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 05, 2013, 01:26:36 PM
Daniel

There is no apology required but sometimes one can think too much.

If we followed your line of thinking, we would start off with a six foot GT rod that was an RF50 and then by the time we got to nine feet long, we would have a rod that was an RF15. What if I am fishing a place though where I need to be able to get to breakers that are a long way away but I also need PE8 to be able to try to extract the fish from structure? There are different rods made for different purposes.

I suggest you follow my suggestions in the guide to GT rods to work out what suits you rather than worry about the physics and mechanics of GT rods.

On the brand of rods, well, if I leave my Carpenter hat on, I would of course say buy a Carpenter but on the forum, I am obliged to wear my gtpopping hat and what I will say is that while the quality of Carpenter rods and the fact that they are among the leading producers is undisputed, they are not the only GT rod producer. That much should have been obvious in my guide to GT rods.

Trevor, thank you for your very kind words but I am treading a well-trodden path. Guys like Richard Foong, our new Ripple sponsor were popping for GTs in the monofilament era. Most of the GT guys from the very early days of the braid generation have disappeared now. They're off nursing arthritis and various injuries to their backs, elbows and arms from this sport! I'm just too stubborn to admit that I should be off fishing for something less strenuous.