Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oman GT Season starts with Ocean Active
August 24, 2013, 05:59:03 PM

The boyz are up early and heading for the top of the Musandam

Damon tight on his first drift and working the rod!

First drift first fish on the FCL78EXT

The gear!

Light gear action

Queen on FCL EBIEXT Popper

Capt Cam in the action

Hey Big Eye!

For more info, trip and reports you can check out www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Oman GT Season starts with Ocean Active
September 01, 2013, 12:39:15 PM
This last weekend my 2 partners David and Allan did a live aboard trip with their better halves Olga and Summer. The trip was for David (Sakkie) birthday and was going to be a nice relaxed trip with a little bit of fishing........Ya right!

Lucky for the boyz Olga and Summer enjoy fishing and the guys had a fantastic trip. The guys caught a total of 7 GTs in 2 days and Sakkie caught an awesome 122cm fish and Allan a 115cm fish. For August and early in the season really good size!

The conditions have already started to cool down and the season is now well and truly started, for more info check out our FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Happy Birthday Big Guy and well done!!

Early morning leaving the dhow.

The crew

Team picture

Davids 122cm fish caught on a Race Point 200 and Ocean Active 150gr popper, the good old red head!

Solid fish, awesome Birthday present!

Allan bending on the Hots 711MH, fish was deep in the current!!

Very nice fish on the lighter gear, 115cm

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 04, 2013, 11:39:08 PM
www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Musandam always a great sight!

Khalil one of our Omani Captains taking the helm

Issam enjoying the ride!

Brad and Johan waiting patiently!

Boyz getting ready!

Johan bending on the RP200 one of our charter rods.

Johan loving being hooked up to his first Omani GT

Nice 110cm fish caught one an ASWB

Great fish!

Johan back in action on a smaller fish

Smaller GT

Turtles caught in a discarded net, this is a sad sight!

Cutting the turtle out the net

Very satisfying the turtle being saved and released!

Mark Tamim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 06, 2013, 06:28:47 AM
Habibi!!  Great pics as usual!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 10, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
We have continued to have good fishing although some bad weather came through last week. Our Manager Jon and crew went up fishing a couple of days back. Below is Jons report:

LB, Barry and Myself got the day off and went for a little trip to Musandam. We got to GT house the night before and set up our gear and had a little braai. We wanted a early start and aimed for 4am. Barry and LB didn't get to much sleep for some reason but we where all up at 4am as planned. Off we set and got to our Ocean Active boat and set off for a days fishing.

Their was a lot of mist and was extremely humid. The nice thing was the sea was flat and we had a breeze on us until we got to our first fishing spot. First cast and I was hooked into something either a big kingfish or barracuda which unfortunately come off. We then moved to our next spot which was always going to produce at it was still over cast and dark around 6am. As we pulled up to the spot we saw a massive feed on the surface which made it easy for us as we pulled up Barry had first cast and boom on. He was using a Hammerhead E-cup and carpenter Monster hunter and Stella 18000SW.

The fish gave him a good fight and we got the fish onto the boat. The popper had been swallowed but we got it out take a measurement and a few pictures then back to the water to fight another day. 127cm. Then LB cast and he was hooked up to a smaller fish, he was also using a popper. This was his first fish on his new Stella 14000SW reel and a good start to its fishing life. Hopefully many more to come. While LB was fighting his fish I stuck a cast in and also hooked into a nice fish but after striking twice the hooks pulled. I knew this was going to be a bad day for me. Two nice fish lost in the first 30min.

We had a few more drifts but nothing major come up so we tried another spot before going to a spot we had not fished for a while. After a 15min ride to this spot we looked at the current and tried to figure out which drift would work but at this spot its a 50/50 of getting big fish out. We saw some Garfish and some smaller bait fish getting smoked so I put in a nice cast. Second twitch and boom I was on. It was a good fish and it took about 70m at full drag and me spooling it. We tried driving towards the fish and then the line parted. Another lure lost and me going mad.

We saw loads of Dorado and Tuna but we didn't have much light tackle gear which could have been great fun any way next time. We then went to a spot which has been producing good fish the last few trips for me as we got to this spot we saw another GT feed and thought we where going to be in for some good fishing. Barry got a small GT on a sinking FCL on the first or second drift. On the third drift I had a huge first come out the water and eat my OA Ulua I had the fish hook and going well, however I thought I had gone over the shallow reef but we hadn't and I got broken off again. Eish the day was not looking good at all for me. We carried on and fished hard but the wind started to pick up. With two drifts left I put in another cast and hooked into a nice fish which I managed to get out. It was a 116cm GT and I was so happy to have finally got one out.

The wind after this picked up and we where only able to fish another half an hour. It was a good day on the water but could have been way better if we had (i had got all the fish I hooked out). Anyway they live to fight another day and ill sure be back to try catch them.

Thanks Barry and LB for a great day.

Heading up into the Musandam early morning

LB hooked up on his new Stella 14000

LB with a smallie

Barry hooked up to a big fish on the Carpenter Monster Hunter

Fish coming to the boat

LB landing the big girl by hand!

Biggest GT in Oman this season so far 127cm, sure this will be shattered fairly soon!

Barrys faithful battered and bruised Hammerhead E-Cup

Barry happy with his fish.

Jon in the action, bending on his new FCL Labo 81EXT

Nice 116cm GT.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 01:10:53 AM
Some very nice fish there .

Barbed hooks on that E-Cup :o

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 03:09:22 AM
Thanks Mark, been a great start to the season already with some big fish and a few monsters broken off already and only in early September, going to be one good long season!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 03:44:26 AM
I reckon Musandam will be the place to be this year. All the signs are there

Trev

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 04:46:32 PM
Trev look like this weekend with the weather changing might be worth a ride up?? Same conditions when Jon and the boyz hooked the big fish last week. Think we should go and investigate!! Really good to see Musandam back to her old self!

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
September 11, 2013, 05:27:54 PM
The day would have been epic if i had got the other fish out. Still be taught a lesson everytime i go out.

Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 20, 2013, 12:53:09 PM
Some monster fish there. Well done!