Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Monster Days in Southern Oman!
October 12, 2013, 08:28:19 PM
After a decent start to the season with a few teething problems and bad weather things have started to calm down and a few monster fish came to the party. We have hooked up a few massive fish but the guys have been reefed, line cutting into spools etc, but finally a couple of monster got converted into the boat!

Sakkie and Stanty my two partners did a quick 2.5 day trip. I was supposed to join the guys but last minute had to pull out much to my regret when I saw and heard what the guys caught!!

A few words from Sakkie!

Start of the Season trip for us to Southern Oman. Unfortunately Nick couldn't join us but that mean't a one on one competition between Stanty and myself. Although conditions were tough we had an awesome trip and the Ocean Active team down in Southies really looked after us well. Although the big GT's were our number one target we had a lot of fun targeting other species and almost every drift on jig produced a fish. In total we caught 6 GT's over 100cm's (112, 125, 132, 135, 148 and 149cm's) and lots and lots of other species. I caught my biggest GT ever on my grandfathers birthday, and as he was the person who introduced me to fishing it is a memory I will always cherish.........sure he hand a hand in it from up there somewhere. Definitely a trip we won't forget soon and already looking at when we can get back.

All looking good for the season with big fish around, and a lot of variety and loads of AJ on jig! Should have done more gym in the off season!! For more info, updated and report check out our FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Rods Used:
Race Point 200
Race Point 250
Race Point 300
Carpenter 86/40

Lures:
Ocean Active Cubera 200gr, Ocean Active Cubera 180gr, Ocean Active Cubera 150gr, Hammerhead I-cup, Hammerhead G-Cup, Carpenter Gamma 140gr, Carpenter Gamma 120gr

Cheers,
Nick

Relaxing lunch at the lodge out on Hallaniyat Island. Before heading out for the afternoon session!

I think this must be one of the most photographed Dhows ever! Stands in front of the lodge, still amazing every time you see it!

Boats ready to head out from the marina in front of the lodge.

Hammerhead I-Cup the big boyz toy!

Sakkie 148cm monster! Caught on a Race Point 200 and OA Cubera 200. If not 60kg+ very close! This fish was caught less than one mile from our lodge!! Amazing!

Ocean Active Cubera 200gr after a 60kg GT, a bit battered but ready for a few more rounds!

Sakkie with a small Geet.

Stanty winding up to launch a missile! Pirates watch out!

Stanty in the action with a big 135kg fish

Stanty and Capt Saud

Sakkies 149cm GT, absolute beast! With the rough weather the guys had to sit on the deck to get the picture not to injure the fish as it was so heavy, 60kg+ Check out the tail looks like a marlin tail!! I should have done the trip...... This is the biggest GT caught so far this season in Southern Oman!

Stanty with another big fish!

Ol bucket mouth! Can put your whole head it these big guys mouths!

Shear happiness! This picture says a 1000 words!

Along with awesome GT action the guys caught a lot of different species on light spinning and jigging gear!

Stanty with a nice bonnie

Yellowdot on jig!

Sea Bream

Big Brassy Trevally!

Huge hard fighting Yellowdot!

Awesome colouring on this yellow dot!

Blacktip trevally!

Big Sherri or Emperor

Sakkie not to sure about this one!!

Stanty in the yellow dot action!

Fish by the double!

Double trouble

Action more action and still some more action!

Up close with Mr Yellowdot!

Stanty with an AJ

The board of fame already filling up with some good fish!!

Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:31:13 AM by Nick Bowles

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Monster Days in Southern Oman!
October 12, 2013, 11:45:52 PM
Some very impressive fish there.  Great to see that weather is now allowing some serious fishing. Very well done to all concerned.

That unidentified red fish is a Long-finned Bigeye by the way :)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 13, 2013, 12:18:21 AM
Howzit Mark! The weather is turning out perfect, 1-5 knots, think you going to have to put a fan on the boat to cool down! Some major big fish around at the moment, not loads but everyday we been getting a couple of hits and guys getting smashed up. Good Luck and tight lines!!

For the red fish I know it as a Bullseye? I think the guys were not to sure on the boat, one of those if I touch it will I explode! Amazing looking fish.

Cheers,
Nick

Raymond Yong

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 13, 2013, 06:55:45 AM
Congrats to all involved and well done guyzzzz ;)

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
October 13, 2013, 04:58:08 PM
Hey Sakkie well done on the great fish. Stanty things are all even now. Next SO battle will decide the winner!
Awesome species caught.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
October 13, 2013, 06:35:29 PM
Superb fish and fantastic images Nick, congrats to all involved! Amazing to see the potential of the place coming alive, and once again seeing the incredible variety, and size of fish the Southern Oman area has on offer... Truly staggering!

Congrats again, great to see all involved having and incredible start to the season! Keep it up!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 14, 2013, 01:32:47 AM
So glad we warmed the waters up for the guys!

Will post a report when I get the photees together!

Gah for 1-5 knot winds!!!!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 14, 2013, 02:16:23 PM
Hi Raymond, many thanks! Waiting for you in Oman Big Guy!!

Hi Jon, I think you hooked Sakkie up with a few sneakies! We will have to talk before my next trip......

Howzit Dre, Congrats on your trip, looked like you guys had a good one, been a tough but good start! Awesome to see the big fish coming out, lost a heap to start and seems the guys are finding their stride!

Howzit Alex, Eish very frustrating you guys did not get any of the calm weather!! But look forward to round 2 in April, got a few plans!

Cheers,
Nick

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
October 15, 2013, 04:25:58 PM
Once again S Oman delivers the goods, some great fish there guys, congrats to all.

Seeing those pics just reminded me to retrieve the Voltaren from the medicine cupboard.......

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 15, 2013, 10:51:37 PM
Hi Chris, Southern Oman is definitely producing some nice fish and a lot of variety which is awesome! I think for those big mamas a good dose of the magic little pink pill and a chiropractor is required!

Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 19, 2013, 11:27:48 AM
Great write up!

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
October 20, 2013, 10:08:42 AM
Nice action Nick, the tail on that fish is huge!
GT FIGHT CLUB