Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This adventure was a long time in the planning and boy was it worth it!

After the superb trip I had with No Boundaries Oman in March 2013, my great mates from the Ebbtide Adventures crew in Melbourne were very keen to try the same in 2014. After many months of planning, anticipation and endless tackle chat  ;) , the party that set off to fish from March 23rd to 29th 2014 was:

John Cahill and Andrew Smith  - the driving forces behind Ebbtide Adventures and The Lure Locker
Toby McClure - bream nut who had got the taste for the heavy stuff in Bali last year
Stephen Callus -well known to many members of this forum and a veteran of several GT trips
Jason Jefferies - all round sports fishing fanatic with lots of experience with billfish, tuna, kings and of course GTs.
And, me.

The first thing I must say is a huge thank you to each of those five guys for making this such a memorable trip both for the fishing and, very importantly, at a social level. The fish were unreal and the company every bit as good.

One of the many double hook ups - Stephen and Mark tight in this picture

The GT fishing was absolutely EPIC with 26 boated for the trip and many more lost or missed.  Four out of the six member crew caught their PB GTs - all of those fish 50 kg+ (mostly weighed on board).

With a PhD fisheries research student amongst the crew, I should also mention that a satellite tag was deployed on one of the fish and I can't wait to see the survivability data in 30 day's time.  I am sure more will be posted about that later.

It was very much a popper bite. I caught two smaller GTs on a floating BCS Custom Baits Wave Walker 170 and John had one large fish on a sinking Temple Reef Lambo. Otherwise, every GT boated was on a popper - especially successful chuggers were Adhek Big Buffalo (2 truly massive fish), the big Hitter Kimitsu, Heru Cubera and Craftbait GT3.

Toby's magnificently marked brute

With so many extremely brutish large GTs hitting our lures, it is hardly surprising that there is as tale of hook carnage to report.  No treble was immune no matter how big, and even a Shout Kudako 9/0 single was severely straightened!  The fish that did that was incredibly brutal and completely destroyed the popper also.

Hook carnage

On the lighter tackle, it was not quite as extraordinary as last March but world record class queenfish could be caught almost at will and provided excellent value on the PE3 set ups. Everyone also enjoyed the bream and spangled emperor action and a bull mahimahi caught by Jason was a very good catch.

Steve with one of dozens of massive queenfish caught

The weather for this trip was a bit mixed with big seas and 20-30 knot winds on some days, and relative calmness on others.

A small number of pictures follow. There are many 100s of pictures to sort through and an extraordinary amount of video footage as well.  I hope that other members of the team will add to my small selection below.

Finally, a huge debt of thanks goes to Ed Nicholas the whole No Boundaries crew.  Thank you so much guys for your unsurpassed levels of professionalism, hospitality and good humour.

Some of the Massive GTs:

Couple of the smaller GTs:

Some of the lighter tackle fish, all on top water lures:

Fantastic Shot - Toby tight on a Queenie, Mark still waiting

A bit of lump in the sea  :D 
Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:19:07 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
So many pics and so much happened. I know I have forgotten important stuff, but here is the satellite tagged fish.  I am sure that Ed and Andrew Smith will have more to say about this later:

Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:09:23 PM by Mark Harris

chris caley

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
wow guys this is craaazy stuff, Cant wait to see the rest of the pictures.   :D

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Wow! Some beautiful big fish there, Mark. Did you manage to land the fish that straightened the Jobu? Also, how much drag were you guys typically running? I realise a Jobu won't straighten as a result of high drag alone, but I suppose it could be a contributing factor. Probably has something to do with hook placement and leverage in the jaw too. Thereagain, as you said, some fish are just "brutes" that (inexplicably) manage to destroy everything!

Interesting to hear they had a PhD candidate aboard - until recently, I intended to start a PhD on GT genetics. I was aware of Ed's conventional tagging program and efforts in getting his hands on sat tags - great to see one getting wet! Will also await the results with anticipation.

Did any of these fish come close to your Balinese bruiser? It's always hard to tell from photos. Thanks for the prompt report - you must have gone straight from the airport to the computer!
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Chris :) . I am sure more pics will follow when the Aussie contingent arrive back home.

Ryan. Yes the fish which straightened the Kudako (not Jobu - Kudako is thicker than a Jobu) 9/0 was landed. It was an incredibly brutal fight which just about killed Andrew Smith who caught it. Typically we were fishing 12-15 kgs of drag. Of the fish I saw in person (we were fishing two boats), one was close to the size of the large fish I caught in Bali recently - just a little smaller.
Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:28:10 PM by Mark Harris

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Ryan. Yes the fish which straightened the Kudako (not Jobu - Kudako is thicker than a Jobu) 9/0 was landed. It was an incredibly brutal fight which just about killed Andrew Smith who caught it. Typically we were fishing 12-15 kgs of drag. Of the fish I saw in person (we were fishing two boats), one was close to the size of the large fish I caught in Bali recently - just a little smaller.
Kudako - I misread! Probably should've occurred to me when I saw the photo  ::) . Anyway, that's even more impressive. I'm holding one right now and can scarcely believe it could be straightened like that. These fish never cease to amaze! Well done, once again.
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Hani Maher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Amazing trip mark , really you done very well guys ... i know how was the weather there  8)
you manage to make an Epic trip guys ..congrts to all the team : )
cheers

Kris Wright

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Wow what a trip.  Those boats look like GT popping weapons.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Some very nice GTs! Great report with some light tackle  8)

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Top work as expected fellas!
Cheers,
Sam

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Wow what a trip.  Those boats look like GT popping weapons.

Yes it was Kris. The No Boundaries boats are quite excellent. All that over head rod storage and easy for 3 anglers to cast off the front.

Thank you Luke.  The light tackle was good if not reaching the dizzy heights achieved in March 2013.

Sam!  Lots for you to hear about specifically mate and I am sure the boys will fill you in :) .

Toby McClure

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
What an awesome trip . The fish , the adventure and the people who came ! Hats off to everyone who was involved in this trip. Can't wait to hit it all again

Harris good sir , you made the trip ! The last two days were all time

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
Stunning trip and great report MR Harris!  well done for organising and I know I will be back there with you!  I will add some photos when I get a chance, some catching up to do
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
No thanks required guys.. I did very little organising!

Toby - us fishing together seriously was a long time coming brother but it worked out so well.  Great company all round :)

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
What a trip!

Nice one boys and great write-up Mark

Regards,

Trev