Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Baby GT
May 23, 2014, 03:15:22 AM

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted for a while (not many GT's in London!) but thought you may like to see this which was a minor triumph for me fishing in Sabah, Borneo a few months back.   
This area is not a known GT spot due to the topography of the ocean in the area but I took a few light spinning rods anyway.

The rod I'm using is a Shimano Exage travel rod in the 10-30g casting range with 10lb mono and a light freshwater spinning reel.

I went for a walk with the missus along the beach casting a long thin silver lure into the surf and retrieving whilst walking.
When we got to the end of the beach there was a rocky reef which extended in an arc forming a bowl like area so I started casting to the edge of the reef and after a few casts hooked up.
The fish immediately tried to head for the rocks obviously and I had to run backwards to prevent this happening and once I got it into open water it went on a series of blistering runs but eventually I managed to get it but on gear so light you can imagine the kind of run around it gave me.

I know it doesn't compare to the Monster GT's I see here all the time but it was very satisfying nonetheless.  :)

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Baby GT
May 23, 2014, 01:06:05 PM
Matt,

On the right gear even small GTs account well of themselves, as you've discovered.

They all count in my book.

Trev

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 23, 2014, 11:15:31 PM
Nice!
Where are you in London - a few more GT nuts coming out of the woodwork!

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 23, 2014, 11:53:35 PM

Cheers Trev.

Alex,  I work in the West End - Gt Portland St and live in Streatham.

And you?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2014, 08:20:40 AM
that one only qualifies as a "T", not a GT!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!