Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
what would you spool up with?
June 17, 2014, 03:27:28 PM
I'm running a Coral Viper/ Stella 10 k/ SOM 16k spool. I'm using this for mainly stickbaits 100-150g, and it's been a great outfit. I gave had it spooled with Varivas GT Special (dark green) PE 8, but I don't love this part of the equation.
I'm looking for replacement braid, and my priorities are casting distance and good knot strength (FG). What do you guys recommend in PE 8 for my task?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: what would you spool up with?
June 17, 2014, 04:19:35 PM
what don't you like Doug? The line quality or the fact that it is green?

Never used the green Varivas Avani GT Max as I thought it would be very hard to see on the water.  The standard white Varivas Avani GT Max PE8 is unbeatable in my view.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 17, 2014, 04:44:51 PM
Varivas or Ygk Full Drag

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
June 17, 2014, 08:56:22 PM
Hi Doug,

I suggest you to save your money and go with Hollow line, running an 80lb of hollow will get you some line capacity and the strength you need to fight a descent size fish with your 10000 reel, if the line break it is spliceable, you will never look back once you use Hollow and it is way cheaper, give it a shot  ;)

Tight lines
    Sami

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 18, 2014, 05:25:02 PM
Thanks guys for the replies!
Mark, I find the Varivas a bit stiff and waxy. For the first several sessions, I suffered a lot of wind knots, but this has eased over the last couple of years to almost nil. I will say it's incredibly strong. I've not broken it on a fish ever. Yes, it can be hard to see, but I don't find that a real problem.
I've got YGK castman on my other GT outfit and like it alot, but might give the hollow stuff a go.
Cheers.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 19, 2014, 04:15:19 AM
Wind knot may be caused by your spooling the line too full . If you dont like Varivas GT Max , try Sunline CastAway which in my opinion is as good if not better than Varivas GT Max .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Joel Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 20, 2014, 11:56:04 AM

Hi there,

Another suggestion for Japanese pe lines is the
 Shimano Ocea ex8 pe8 lines

Marc Farinas

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 23, 2014, 06:40:08 AM
Sunline Monster Battle for me! I like it better than any of the Varivas lines I've tried.