Mathieu Laforest

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fiji fishing and weather in february ?
October 23, 2014, 01:51:51 AM
Hi guys,
First time here and it look like a great forum !
I plan a trip (fishing and diving) in Fiji next february. I know it's rainy and hurricane season. Should I choose an other destination or it's not to bad ?
thank you very much
Mat

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
Re: Fiji fishing and weather in february ?
October 23, 2014, 02:27:16 PM
Hi guys,
First time here and it look like a great forum !
I plan a trip (fishing and diving) in Fiji next february. I know it's rainy and hurricane season. Should I choose an other destination or it's not to bad ?
thank you very much

Hi Mat,
I've been to Fiji in Feb and we end up fishing 3 days out of 5, but the fishing was out of the chart, where you intend to fish in Fiji?
March and early April is very good as well.

Tight lines
    Sami

Mathieu Laforest

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 23, 2014, 03:45:38 PM
Hi Sami,
I don't know yet but I heard the weather is a bit better up north and in the smaller islands. I don't know if it's true. I'm also looking for a small charter boat, cause I should fish alone and ideally, I don't want to spend 1000$us a day. If someone is in the area at the same time and want to share the boat for 3 or 4 days I would prefer to go with the best popping and jigging guide.
Mat
Mat

Will Wragg

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 23, 2014, 07:21:44 PM
Bull vinaka Mat,
February is probably the most unsettled month weatherwise as you can get low pressures/ cyclones moving through. Having said that, unless you do get unlucky with a nasty system, the seas can be very kind, and for sure the Gts are more active in the warmer water.
From a diving point of view the visibility can be down a bit on the cooler months, but still good.
You won't find many experienced guides in the smaller/ cheaper places, and you will have to fight hard to return your Gts. But half the fun can be trying spots no one has popper fished before.
A couple of safe options- Nick at Volivoli- great fishing, top boat, and superb and reasonably priced diving in the Vatu-I- Ra passage. Callan at Xtreme Fishing in Pacific Harbour. He's the local SHIMANO dealer so you know you'll be in a well set up boat. And you'll be able to dive Beqa Lagoon- soft corals and the best shark dive in the world.
I am going up to Vanua  Levu in a fortnight to try a couple of very reasonably priced places. If the fishing is good, I'll let you know.

Mathieu Laforest

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 24, 2014, 05:36:33 PM
Hi Will,
Do you live in Fiji ?
I will take all informations! Please, let me know.
We plan to stay for about 15 days mainly for diving, fishing and discover local life. So your recomandation is to go up north ?
Thanks guys !
Mat
Mat

Will Wragg

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 25, 2014, 04:02:59 PM
Hi Matthew,

Yes, I live on an island in the Mamanuca group. I would advise you against this area. There are Gts, but the fishing is patchy (I still love it, though), and it is expensive.

This is a generalisation, but there are four areas of Fiji which combine good Gt fishing with great diving-
Kadavu- deep south. This is where many forum members have fished with great success, and perhaps they can offer advice. I do not know this area but it will be expensive.

Beqa Lagoon. South of Viti Levu. Gts quite pressured but great diving and easy to get to. Affordable accommodation on Coral Coast/Pacific Harbour.

Taveuni. North East. Another area visited by forum members. World famous diving in the Somosomo Straights.

Vatu-I-Ra. Between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. Arguably the best diving in Fiji and terrific fishing.

Fiji is not a particularly cheap place to visit any more. I think I would combine going to an established resort (such as Volivoli) where you can be certain of good service, and then taking a chance on a backpacker type resort, and trying to set up some fishing with a local. One I want to go back to is Takalana, on eastern Viti Levu. But please ensure you release any Gts.

Hope this helps.