Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jerry Brown Questions.
January 20, 2015, 07:05:23 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a little stuck on the whether to buy some hollow or solid JB for popping and stickbaiting. I was looking at filling the saltiga 5000 with 50-60lb solid or hollow and the 6500 catalina with 80-100lb solid or hollow. From previous posts I understand the 80lb hollow is thicker and stronger then the 100 or am I mistaken? if not, does this follow onto the solid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Brown Questions.
January 20, 2015, 07:20:39 PM
You are right, The JB Hollow 80lb is slightly thicker and stronger than the JB100 Hollow, the 80 is 16 strand vs. 12 strand for the 100
This does not apply for the Solid
I would suggest Seaguar threadlock 50lb as an alternative to the JB60lb, the JB60 is great as well

In my opinion going Hollow is a great option specially for popping as hollow has great shock resistance vs. solid, if you want to go Solid then I believe there are many other brands far superior to the JB solid specially in terms of castability

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2015, 07:38:53 PM
I have used JB solid and hollow for a few years and all of the hollow lines are excellent.  In the solid I like the 80 but would go other brands for anything less as the 50 and 65 are only 6 carrier of memory.

Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 20, 2015, 08:10:20 PM
Awesome, 100lb solid it is. I currently have pe 8 daiwa saltiga casting braid on the 6500 but would like to buy a spool of JB as backup for an upcoming trip, just heard too many horror stories of PE randomly popping when a large or very aggressive GT strikes the lure.

I will look into the seaguar threadlock also, sounds like a better option.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 26, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
I have heard that seaguar threadlock is especially better in it's colored versions, as it is still easy to work with (splice) unlike other brands which have a colour coating sticking the threads together and making the line less supple. No idea about strength vs diameter.