August 22, 2008, 08:13:44 AM

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jigging Rod for PE8
August 22, 2008, 10:10:05 AM
Hi Scott, I will be at Shoalwater the week before you. I should point out that there it is unlikely there will be any jigging options at Shoalwater. I think there are a few spots we've seen where you could drop a jig but realistically, you're really only likely to encounter big reefies and probably mongrel spaniards that wil steal your jigs.

Shoalwater really is a popping location. You should pack some light tackle though as it can be real good there.

In terms of your trip to New Cal, I think you can get by on PE6 without going out and spending a heap of more money. PE6 is 80lb anyway so you should be ok with this. Ideally, it would be nice to have a PE8 outfit but you're probably spending a heap already!  :D  I don't know who recommended the Ripple 5220 to you but the person obviously doesn't like you! It's a beautiful rod but way beyond the capacity of most normal people. I'd look at a 5210 or a 5215. If you're really masochistic, check out the Zenaq Monster Buster B60-H. Duncan at Fishhead will happily sell it to you!

If you really want a PE8 option and am budget conscious, I'd suggest you look for a Shimano T-Curve 400. This is a PE8 rod and can be had for great prices if you shop around. The rod is very capable and is a bargain at the prices it can be had for.

Personally, I've never been able to work out whether I am better off with PE6 where I have more line or PE8 where I can exert a little more pressure on the fish with doggies. As I don't fish for them anymore, I suppose it's all rather academic. Without having any idea of your physique and strength, I can't suggest what rods may be suitable.

I am biased but if you want to spend more money, I'd personally suggest you buy another popping/stickbait rod as a spare. It is so easy for a rod to be put out of action during the week. Last week, I wiped one rod out of action and bent the guide over on another (which I was able to bend back) but I had plenty of spares.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 23, 2008, 10:21:49 AM
Thanks Brandon, I need to build up some terminal tackle, especially surface lures, so I might just cope with my 2 jig rods rated up to PE6 and spend some money on lures and stuff. I particularly appreciate the warning re the 5220, its that sort of thing that is very hard to gauge when you can't pick one up in the shops and have a play.

I do have a Ripple Fisher and the t-curve GT special for popping. I would like to add another to the collection before February, but it will depend how work treats me. My wife is aghast at the 3 stellas, 2 popper rods and 1 jig rod i have bought in the last 7 or 8 months already. Any early suggestions on a 3rd rod that would compliment those?

Your comments re build and strength are noteworthy. Im only average height and slim build, and I work in an office all day (hence nerdy and weak). I have started on some fitness and strength training but I am never going to be a Hercules. I must say I am a bit concerned about tangling with fish that can put serious bends in these popping rods, but I look forward to the challenge.

On that note, I see that my Smith jigging rod and Ripple Fisher popping rod come with rubber butts, not gimbal connections. Is this usual? I would have thought a gimbal belt would be ideal for fighting decent fish on jig sticks, and useful when dragging GTs out of nasty spots with the boat. Am I wrong on this?

If I am not wrong, are there special fighting belts one can get to accomodate these rods, or do I need to get the rods modified?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 24, 2008, 10:46:35 AM
I love your description of your wife re the tackle you've been buying. I think "aghast" is about the most appropriate term I have heard!  :D

The 79R is quite forgiving and will suit you but you may find the T-Curve hard work. It's a very good rod but it is heavy and a serious curve in it is going to work you over so you better try to get in some shape. If you are looking for another rod, I'd suggest you look for something like a Coral Viper CV79 RF40 or a Blue Lagoon TBL 711 RF35. these are both Carpenters and I think you will enoy fishing with both of these. They're stickbait rods but will handle poppers up to about 140 to 150g okay.

With your description of your build, keep away from rods like the Carpenter SP78EXH or UHL, Wild Violence, Ripple 78H etc. If you hook a big fish on one of these, it will be arguable whether you've caught a fish or the fish has caught you!!

I personally don't like the gimbal connection. These are really only necessary if you're using an overhead. For a spinning reel, I don't see the need for it. I particularly dislike popping rods with gimbal conections on them but most are made without them these days.

For a gimbal belt, the best I have found is the Fisherman flat harness but the GT Max is also very good. I've also seen the little HOTS belt and this lokos good too but I haven't used one.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 24, 2008, 02:36:41 PM
Thanks Brandon, I agree re the gimbal being best for overheads, but I find I like to get leverage on fish by jamming the butt end of the rod around my thighs and groin area and I end up with huge bruises, so its mainly to avoid that. I will take a look at the flat harnesses as that should provide the protection I am after.

As always Brandon your experience and knowledge is really appreciated.

P.S - after posting this and doing some searching along the lines you mentioned I have found what you are talking about, a fighting belt with a cup for the butt instead of the gimbal setting. They look ideal, with the Tuna/GT max and Fisherman vying for my $$.
Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:03:32 PM by Scott Maybury

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 24, 2008, 09:05:56 PM
Scott, the cups are much better suited for GTs as they provide for that bit more manoeuvrability. Again, plenty of choice on the market, The Fisherman flat harness is outrageously expensive but is a really good belt. There are many other including $20 jobs that will do the trick.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 27, 2008, 09:10:22 AM
Hi Scott. Have you thought of a Blue Rose? I just got one (s53sd) and a Valley Hill Maori Spirits PE 10 rod as well. They both look to have the goods and from what I gather the Blue Rose is a proven rod. Have seen one in action here in Fiji on some serious fish and it got the job done.