rudigonzales

• Phytoplankton
  • happy fishing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Hi...I am a very new comer in GT popping. I already have rod EP 82/38, and now looking for reel that matches the rod.
My choice is saltiga 5000H and stella 14000xg.
Anyone who have experiences with rod and reel above..Please helps, which reel i should buy.

I really appreciate your help.
Cheers
Rudi

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
One thing to think about is if you want to service the reel yourself or not? Since Daiwa brought out the mag seals you have to send them back to a service centre to get them serviced. I myself love servicing my own reels.
There's always a bigger fish!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
If it wasn't for the servicing issues a Saltiga Expedition 5500H would be a great choice for PE8. The Stella 18000  is what I would go with.

If you are only going to use PE6 the the 14000 would do the job.

Padraic Clear

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
I was in the a similar scenario recently whether to go with Daiwa or Shimano for my first GT reel and ended up going Shimano based on service issues in the UK plus bad experiences I've have with other Daiwa mag sealed reels. I do not have the experience that other forum users have so I'm only advising based on my experience over a 6 day trip. I purchased a Stella 14000xg and found it was sufficient for the fishing we were doing. I was able to fit 235 meters of PE8 on the reel though it was packed on extremely tight and that was the absolute maximum the spool could hold. My friends purchased Twinpower 14000s and didn't have any issues. We landed some nice GTs over 40kgs and the reels didn't struggle at all however time will tell whether they will last at this type of fishing. The Stella 18000 is 185g heavier so its going to be more tiring to cast with all day however it would be more robust so it's a trade off between the two. If you were ever to need to go to PE10 you'd definitely need the larger reel but if you were only using PE6-8 then you can get away the 14k based on my limited experience.
Hope this helps.

rudigonzales

• Phytoplankton
  • happy fishing
  • Liked:
One thing to think about is if you want to service the reel yourself or not? Since Daiwa brought out the mag seals you have to send them back to a service centre to get them serviced. I myself love servicing my own reels.

Nice info Joshua, I prefer to service by my self as my budget is limited. So the choice is stella 14000xg.
Thanks for your help Joshua
Rudi

rudigonzales

• Phytoplankton
  • happy fishing
  • Liked:
If it wasn't for the servicing issues a Saltiga Expedition 5500H would be a great choice for PE8. The Stella 18000  is what I would go with.

If you are only going to use PE6 the the 14000 would do the job.

Hi Chris, You are right, I will use PE 6 for 14000xg.
Thanks a lot for your advice Chris
Rudi

rudigonzales

• Phytoplankton
  • happy fishing
  • Liked:
I was in the a similar scenario recently whether to go with Daiwa or Shimano for my first GT reel and ended up going Shimano based on service issues in the UK plus bad experiences I've have with other Daiwa mag sealed reels. I do not have the experience that other forum users have so I'm only advising based on my experience over a 6 day trip. I purchased a Stella 14000xg and found it was sufficient for the fishing we were doing. I was able to fit 235 meters of PE8 on the reel though it was packed on extremely tight and that was the absolute maximum the spool could hold. My friends purchased Twinpower 14000s and didn't have any issues. We landed some nice GTs over 40kgs and the reels didn't struggle at all however time will tell whether they will last at this type of fishing. The Stella 18000 is 185g heavier so its going to be more tiring to cast with all day however it would be more robust so it's a trade off between the two. If you were ever to need to go to PE10 you'd definitely need the larger reel but if you were only using PE6-8 then you can get away the 14k based on my limited experience.
Hope this helps.

Hello Padraic, your experience is rally helping me alot in choosing the right reel for me, and now i have decided to buy stella 14000xg for my GT reel.
In April I will go to the east of Indonesia to test my EP 82/38 and stella 14000xg, and hopefully I will have nice report for this forum from my fishing trp.
Thank you so much Padraic
Rudi