Serge.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Le Poisson Banane - Some Latest Catches
October 05, 2009, 09:40:51 AM
That GT has an amazing shape, Robin. Almost like a pomfret, it's that wide! I'd say it's about the heaviest built GT I've seen.

Great capture again and a terrific way to christen a new rod.

You should send a big photo to Gu and Mark for the rod and I am sure it will take pride of place in the new shop.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robin Chan

October 05, 2009, 12:03:03 PM
Excellent fish !!

How do you like the OR rod ?
I just received mine but won't be able to use it till April next year :(

Serge.

Hi Serge,

The OR Widowmaker performed very well under the NC conditions we'd fished on. We had 3 Widowmaker and a Oceanus rod for the trip. The truth was; I was trying all means to ensure that the rods do arrive with us in NC. After reading about Kasey's story, thank God it all did arrive.

Back to the rod, its really light (under 400gr), very well match and balance with the Shimano SW and Saltiga GTs. Definitely a longer butt and smaller Eva grips as compared with others, its very fast and stiff. Basically it is very efficient for heavy chuggers...170/190/200/220gr. We could no longer get away with 150/170gr after the winds and sea conditions increased in NC. Every thing light was thumbling out of water, I even had to balance and sink the chuggers slightly to stay on. A very stiff rod in these conditions helped tremendously, the OR's Widowmaker performed better than my KD's. Well, it stay on our hands for the next 3 days without much fatigue.

As in most stiff actioned rods, hurt will come both ways during the fight...get a good gimbal harness. Serge, no worries mate, you have a great rod, simply designed with no frills to it. Cheers!

Robin

Robin Chan

October 05, 2009, 12:28:09 PM
That GT has an amazing shape, Robin. Almost like a pomfret, it's that wide! I'd say it's about the heaviest built GT I've seen.

Great capture again and a terrific way to christen a new rod.

You should send a big photo to Gu and Mark for the rod and I am sure it will take pride of place in the new shop.

Hi Brandon,

It was unfortunate that we did not meetup in Singapore 'Monster Pond', anyway thanks for your advise relied to us by Vincent. Yes, it always nice to brake-in a new rod with a trophy fish.

The width/thickness of the belly was approximately from my elbows to my finger tips. As for the OR, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Gu and Mark for the 'Soft Launch' casting demo. Gu had the widowmaker rigged on a 190gr Craft Bait GT3 (Wide Mouth) and Decoy 10/0s. Had a hand in it and it was hammering it and punching through with ease.

Yes, will work on the pics, don't really have them yet from fishing buddies. Cheers!
Robin
Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:30:04 PM by Robin Chan

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 12:46:16 PM
Hi Robin,
Oh, it was you who PM'ed me on FK! Congratulations again on the fish.

What precautions did you take with the rods? I'm starting to suspect maybe one amongst my group is a black cat....

The last trip I had with Lip Song coincided with a good bite too so I've already told him I'm going to kidnap him and smuggle him onto my next trip if I have to.... Lip Song Lucky Charm  :P
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Robin Chan

October 05, 2009, 01:29:44 PM
Hi Robin,
Oh, it was you who PM'ed me on FK! Congratulations again on the fish.

What precautions did you take with the rods? I'm starting to suspect maybe one amongst my group is a black cat....

The last trip I had with Lip Song coincided with a good bite too so I've already told him I'm going to kidnap him and smuggle him onto my next trip if I have to.... Lip Song Lucky Charm  :P

Hi Kasey,

Thanks for your compliments, mail and advise on the rod tubes. Well, I just gave Qantas/Sin a call and relied the happened situation on your trip to them. The answer was it should not have happened even if it was a 2hr transit in Sydney even in wee hours of 0540 to 0750hrs. It should have been transferred to the next destination. Then I referred to the shipping office if I'd wanted to have the tubes shipped prior, I'd said forget it, who's going to pick them up anyway. Then  I was referred to ticketing office with the same reply as the first.

Well, bought the travel insurance and had the rod tubes covered as accompanied baggages. The tubes had bright colored tapes with Noumea and the next Flight number written on it. That's really all we could do and lastly we crossed loaded our rods on individual tubes.

Lip Song stayed away from Red Bass for this trip...No more Red Bass Champ!.....Hehehe In fact he was the 1st to get a Big take on the 1st Day..45kg GT sized claimed Rudy. Unfortunately the hooked pulled on the last 30m or so, couldn't have done it any better. :)  Cheers!

Robin                   

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 02:55:22 PM
Well, there's not much more we as anglers can do really. We really are at the mercy of the flight companies when it comes to travelling with rods.

Yes, I heard that he is in fact the new.... Blue Cod King! I'm not sure if that's better or worse than Red Bass!  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, sorry to deviate off track...
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 03:28:22 PM
is someone challenging my claim to the title of Blue Cod King?!
Malcolm kicked my butt on the last trip but I still believe I am more worthy after landing three big ones on the same day!    :D

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 03:43:15 PM
a truly trophy catch there.

awesome work.

Davy ong

October 05, 2009, 04:31:52 PM
congrats Rob....nice mama GT....more pics pls...

denis

October 06, 2009, 05:18:44 AM
hoo yeah !

great and good job

Big mamma special for real man  ;D

soon back in NC to break the record
who holds the record  ??? ;D ??? ;D ??? ::) ::)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 06, 2009, 08:15:32 AM
I think some person who uses PE20 has the record!!    :D  ;D

denis

October 07, 2009, 04:50:26 AM
there is one crazy who fish with PE20 ????????, incredible  ::)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2009, 06:33:02 AM
maybe not but he wears a PE20 t-shirt!!   :D

denis

October 08, 2009, 04:18:15 AM
Unfortunately, he wears a t-shirt PE20 as he fished with the PE20 ............. by mistake.

By cons, the record of the GT is not a mistake .......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D