Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT Tagging
October 09, 2008, 11:18:37 PM
I notice every so often in pics that come up on the site GTs that have been tagged (usually nomad). How long has the tagging program been going for and has any information been learned? Has there been many recaptures?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: GT Tagging
October 10, 2008, 06:48:55 AM
it first started at Shoalwater in 2007, Jay. To date, I am not aware of any recaptured fish.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Rutkin

October 10, 2008, 09:05:52 AM
These fish are smart too?
Man we have no chance.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 10, 2008, 09:48:13 AM
I tagged a couple of small GT's off the Sunshine Coast [SEQ] last year and was told by my Game Fishing Club that they had a directive not to tag any Trevally, any info on that one?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ashley Cotter

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 20, 2009, 10:44:56 PM
Hi greg,

Giant trevally are part of the GFAA tagging program which is in the lastest GFAA hand book. I spoke to Phil Bolton from NSW tagging program in cairns while was working the deck on REEL CHASE, during the last heavy tackle season. He said that it was fine. They are even under the tagging program for ANSA, and we tag them in the gamefishing club here in townsville. So i say go ur hardest.

cheers
Ashley
Ashley Cotter
Townsville

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2009, 09:17:31 AM
Thanks for that Ashley, I will pass it on to my club and go get em.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ashley Cotter

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2009, 09:45:10 PM
Greg, some more info for you.

As per the Official GFA Gamefishing 2009 Journal, Phil Bolton has an article in it regarding the tagging program. Page 36 says Number of trevally tagged 3313, 32 recaptured which is 0.97% recapture rate. Plus if you tag a crap load of other game fish in aust waters u can be in the running for a major GFAA award which is the Neil Patrick Trophy.

Other species that can be tagged by anglers in a GFAA club, that are of interest to jigging and popper fish guys are as follows on page 56.

Amberjack
barracuda
Narrow Barred Mackerel (spanish)
Samson Fish
Dogtooth Tuna
Large Scale Tuna (shark mackerel)
Longtail Tuna
Yellowfin Tuna
Wahoo
KingFish Yellowtail (min length to be tagged 70cm)
Queenfish (min length to be tagged 60cm)
Big Eye Trevally (min length to be tagged 60cm)
Giant Trevally (min length to be tagged 60cm)
Gold Spot Trevally (min to be tagged 60cm)
Golden Trevally ( min to be tagged 60cm)

Cheers
Ashley
Ashley Cotter
Townsville

MikeOsborn

April 23, 2009, 12:12:29 PM
Ive just had an interesting recapture. I tag about 50-60 fish a year and get about 3 or 4 recaptures per annum.

This latest recapture stood out cause just prior to release the fish was accidentally dropped on its head :-\ it was bleeding quite a bit but we made the call to release it anyway. the fish was recaught 6NM after 290 days at sea and weighed 17kg with a fork length of 109cm. When we released it we measured it at 104cm and est 14kg. Of all the fish we have tagged that was the last one I was expecting to be recaught so it just goes to show how tough fish are.
We also had a striped marlin recaught last week 130nm south of where we caught it, this fish was tail wrapped when it came in and I spent 10mins reviving it before I lost hold of the bill and watched it go down.... I had a bad feeling that the fish would not make it but i was obviously wrong again.

sorry well off topic but people who tag alot of fish always like to hear of recapture stories...... well I do :D