Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shoalwater Bay - Trip Report
March 21, 2012, 08:06:26 PM
LOL. Well a report worth re-reading! The mention of Shoalwater 2008 was a give away...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2012, 08:14:08 PM
Jon - I had read posts before from various people (I think including yourself) about how the fish at Komodo were stronger than other areas because of the current which they lived in and I admit to some cynicism but I'm a true believer now. Not all the fish at Shoalwater were like that but some of them were really squat and wide - like a rugby front rowe - and strong!!

Definitely worth re-reading, especially this bit!  This has been a mantra of mine for ages - strong current GTs in places like Komodo, Bali and Sumba (and clearly Shoalwater) are amazingly strong, superbly conditioned and have much bigger shoulders than GTs from gentler climes.

When spouting this, I too have been met with cynicism and it is great to read that Brandon realised the point after fishing Shoalwater.

I have seen this with guys fishing in Bali for the first time who get into a GT and think it is a very big one, and it comes in at 20 kgs :). Strong currents = stronger fish.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 21, 2012, 08:37:39 PM
Agree with that statement - our big tides here in Mackay (not far north of Shoalwater) have up to 6m of run... but I think Shoalwater has the biggest tide movements on the east coast - up to 8m I think someone once told me.

The crazy rain mass has moved south today, good luck to anyone between here and Rockhampton  ???
Focus on the pop