Mark Travers

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Daiwa price rises
October 27, 2008, 11:24:23 PM
Was at the tackle store today and the boys mentioned a major price rise on daiwa gear. has anyone else heard. up to 25%,apparently daiwa japan raised theirs 30%. new recommended retail on the dogfight $1550 approx.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Daiwa price rises
October 28, 2008, 04:43:30 AM
Price rise is due to exchange rate of JPY n A$. which has appreciate in favour of JPY to some a level of 35% from the level 3 months ago when A$. was at it's highest value against all major world currencies , hence " the price rise " in Australia .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2008, 05:55:21 PM
I heard two weeks ago Shimano will be raising their prices as well by 10-15% [not known] in Nov :(, that news was enough for me to grab a Stella 18000 ;D, bugger waiting for Santa :P
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2008, 10:59:36 PM
Yes unfortunately ALL prices going up.

Daiwa going up by 30%.....Thank god I got my dogfight a while ago. ;D
Big price jump...$1600 on a reel is getting pretty nasty.. :o

Pete

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 28, 2008, 11:39:38 PM
Sounds like a con-job to me. 

The exchange rate seems to be largely an excuse of convenience.  I didn't notice them drop the prices when the Aus dollar rose from 80 up to over 100 yen but now the shoe's on the other foot they decide they need to up the prices.  What a load of rubbish.  Don't mention the price of commodities (metals etc used to make these reels) has also tumbled (and also bear in mind Japan imports these comodities at a much cheaper price due to the strength of the yen so it's costing less to make the reels). 

Awful lot like the price of fuel in Aus.  Didn't it shoot up when Oil raced up to $147 a barrel.  Now it's less than half that but the fuel price hasn't dropped anywhere near as fast or as far.  And yes that's taking into account the exchange rate. 

Ok, I've had my whinge, I'll get back in my box.

steve 

Cairns Bommie Basher

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2008, 03:46:00 PM
I am with Stephen on this one, certainly didn't notice any price changes in our favour when the AUS$ was kicking butt (except on direct imports of course). It seems to be all one way traffic, very annoying.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 29, 2008, 03:56:24 PM
I am with Stephen on this one, certainly didn't notice any price changes in our favour when the AUS$ was kicking butt (except on direct imports of course). It seems to be all one way traffic, very annoying.

So...as soon as the dollar strengthens, stock on hand should automatically become cheaper to the consumer? Doesn't work that way. Stock can't magically appear as soon as economic conditions get better - they need to be ordered.

Like with any business, you have to forecast and ensure that you order accordingly for the future. Simply because the dollar was strong, doesn't mean that you will see that effect trickle through to the consumer instantly, and in addition economic conditions can and will change regularly.

What about retailer X that has purchased X amount of stock? He can't simply sell it for cheaper when he bought it for much more just because the dollar is stronger.

It's not practical to change pricing at the drop of a hat. What would you all say if every manufacturer and service provider changed their pricing whenever they liked? What would you say if the price went up every time that the dollar weakened?

Everybody needs to make a living, including the manufacturer, distributor and retailer. And of course, the consumer is entitled to get the best deal they can - but it isn't as clear cut as you all assume.

Con-jobs - yeah right  ::) ::) ::)

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2008, 09:01:54 PM
But when the dollar remains strong for a while,prices don't fall very quickly.I dont think anyone is expecting retailers to cut their own throats with the stock they have but you would have expected a downward trend until recently When the dollar falls quickly in the space of 2 months, new price rises are factored in quite quickly ( or so it seems)...it may be perception, or we are more cynical.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 29, 2008, 09:49:07 PM
But when the dollar remains strong for a while,prices don't fall very quickly.I dont think anyone is expecting retailers to cut their own throats with the stock they have but you would have expected a downward trend until recently When the dollar falls quickly in the space of 2 months, new price rises are factored in quite quickly ( or so it seems)...it may be perception, or we are more cynical.

There are more factors than just currency for price fluctuations in general. However, when they do fall, and fall dramatically to a level not seen for some time, then sometimes changes are required to maintain profitibility and not incur loss!

Just my 2c.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2008, 11:32:37 PM

It's not practical to change pricing at the drop of a hat. What would you all say if every manufacturer and service provider changed their pricing whenever they liked? What would you say if the price went up every time that the dollar weakened?

Mmmmm, well practicality doesn't seem to be stopping them from changing the price upwards at the drop of a hat.  The Aussie dollar gradually got stronger over a year or so.  No price drops.  Now the Aussie dollar has plunged in the space of a couple of months and now up the prices go. 

Can you say your view is totally unbiased Luke? 

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 30, 2008, 09:05:19 AM

Mmmmm, well practicality doesn't seem to be stopping them from changing the price upwards at the drop of a hat.  The Aussie dollar gradually got stronger over a year or so.  No price drops.  Now the Aussie dollar has plunged in the space of a couple of months and now up the prices go. 

Can you say your view is totally unbiased Luke? 

cheers,

steve

How often are prices going up?

You want the best of everything - unfortunately, that is not reality.

Aaron Concord

November 02, 2008, 07:20:56 PM
I recall the very first Saltiga's that came into the store I worked at back in 2000.
They retailed for $1550.....NO ONE wanted to buy a spin reel for that much.

The tide turned when more people saw what captures where happening on these reels and people started to buy them when their less than capable gear got ripped apart.

I had seen virtually all reels under a grand have something tragic go wrong, so the 2 that stood up (Stellas and Saltigas) were the 2 choices to buy for popping or jigging.

As more people came into the sport over the last 8 years, the dollar also went up and eased the pricing.
I guess what I am saying is that people need to have some perspective about the ups & downs of the dollar on top-notch gear and those who know its false economy to fish with anything else will save the extra week or 2 to buy the right gear the first time around.
The reels will still probably be cheaper than 8 years ago when the Stellas & Salitgas came out AND we have far better choices/models etc to pick from....

Aaron.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 03, 2008, 08:04:02 AM
When I bought my first saltiga Z6000 the price was $1450, and we only had a choice of Z6000 or Z6000GT, was about 6-7 years ago I think. The prices have certainly dropped in that time. Now we can get a Dogfight or Expedition for less. The same can be said for Stella's, atm you can get new stella 08 models for about $1200 if your quick ;)
Another example is Smith Komodo Dragon, I recall they were $1295 18 months ago and now if you can find one it should be about $1000.
The way I see it the prices Do drop when conditions allow, you just need to be ready to buy them when it's cheaper and not haggle over the price tooo much.
Another thing worth considering is that when exchange rates are good people tend to buy online at a better rate than the local tackle store, hence they don't move as much stock. These local stores can only pass on discounts if they move old stock. If more of us supported the local stores when things are good then I guess we would see more price drops ;)
Fact of life......When the shit hits the fan on the money markets EVERYBODY pays.

Chris

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 03, 2008, 08:24:52 AM
Yeah I am going to put my own hand up and say having read Chris' report above and Aaron's in the thread 'Locked Topics' it does bear some thinking about from a different angle.

The fact remains that some of the fishing we do with spinning gear in particular was incomprehensible only a relatively short time ago. I have only been in the top end gear market for a short time, so it is very interesting to hear some of the comments about what it was like only 6 or 7 years ago.

The fact is I now have 3 stellas and a few decent rods, and plan on going out and catching some big GT's, dogtooth tuna and the like, which probably would not have been possible 10 years ago.

So with all the work that has gone in to some of this gear, I can understand why the manufacturers need to get a return on it.

Aaron Concord

November 03, 2008, 01:24:02 PM
Crusty,
Well put...you are spot on.

Scott,

Incomprehensible....that's what ALL heavy jigging and popping with M E G A drag & huge lures on super thin PE braid was...it was a Sci-Fi moment at best and at worst, a heap of busted lighter line, reels & rods....I had fun trying though 'Pre Sci-Fi' :)

Aaron.