Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TCurve GT Special vs high end rods
December 21, 2008, 08:45:00 PM
We've only been into popping for a short while now - maybe 10 months at the max.  In that time we've caught a few fish and have come to understand a bit better the pressure that gets put on your gear by a big fish.  Slowly but surely we've progressed from thinking you're a bit of wanker for having a rod just for stickbaits, a rod just for light poppers and a rod just for heavy poppers to thinking that maybe, well actually yeah I do need a seperate rod for stickbaits and another for poppers  :D

My mate and I both use tcurve GT specials with stella 10k's and its a tool that gets the job done, and i'll never be getting rid of it.  That said though we've never had the chance to try out these other rods that everybody talks about.  My question therefore is where does the GT special sit in the pack?  GT Popping seems to suffer a little from gear snobbery, i've heard the GT special be called "an entry level" rod - why is this? Because I know no better the first reason I think of is simply the price. I know that is not entirely the case though, so my question is - if you were given a blind test on one where would you say it performed well and where is its weaknesses?  And by purchasing a new, high end rod (I quite like the sound of the Ripplefishers... ;D) what benefits would I be gaining over my current setup? 

All help appreciated. 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: TCurve GT Special vs high end rods
December 21, 2008, 09:33:26 PM
the rods that "everybody talk about" are actually by no means the absolute top end - the top end belongs to the full custom jobs, particularly from Fisherman and to a lesser extent, Carpenter and then Ripple. A rod like this from Fisherman could easily cost you close to $,3000 if you opted for all the premium options at current exchange rates. The chameleon paintwork finish from Ripple is something like a $500 option.

By entry level, we're referring to price. As you have no doubt already found out, most gear simply won't hack it against big GTs on heavy braid. The GT Special is the cheapest rod on the market that will actually do the job. That said, the rod is considerably heavier than the more premium offerings. The more expensive rods have lighter blanks and premium components. As an example, if you look at a rod like a Fisherman R10, you can those beautifully shaped grips.

I really don't see the rod as having any weaknesses per se - it will do the job and do it competently but it will not feel as nice to use as one of the premium rods.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 21, 2008, 09:46:20 PM
Little bit of a secret - there is an upgraded Shimano GT rod that is either about to come out or has just been launched that is considerably lighter than its predessesor. I have had a play with one and weight wise it felt approx the same as the Tokara 60 I am currently using.

Considering what you pay for them I thank they are now great value for money.

Cheers

Les.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 21, 2008, 09:49:48 PM
Thanks Brandon.  By heavier are you referring to weight or action?  And also by nicer to use - what are you refering to?  I know that can be hard to quantify sometimes - like cars or mountain bikes (as is my other expensive past time) there are definitely brands or models that have intangible properties that just work.  That said though i'm trying to get an understanding of what makes a good rod a good rod.  $1000+ is more than I like to spend based purely on heresay.

PS - thanks for the goss Les, interesting  :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 21, 2008, 10:04:56 PM
if you're into mountain biking, then you'll see some bikes cost $1000, other $5000 and a select few will cost the earth. It's the same thing. You pay for a precision and hand-made tool. I don't doubt that some of what we regard as "feel" in the case of an expensive rod is probably a bit of a placebo effect.

Only you can establish whether you think the rod is worth paying $1000 (or a air bit more now!) for.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brendon Robbins

December 21, 2008, 10:42:07 PM
Little bit of a secret - there is an upgraded Shimano GT rod that is either about to come out or has just been launched that is considerably lighter than its predessesor. I have had a play with one and weight wise it felt approx the same as the Tokara 60 I am currently using.

Considering what you pay for them I thank they are now great value for money.

Cheers

Les.

Interesting. I was all set to buy a GT special for my trip to Exmouth next April. Might hold off now.
Cheers for the heads up, fingers crossed it's released before I go!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 22, 2008, 10:54:33 AM
if you're into mountain biking, then you'll see some bikes cost $1000, other $5000 and a select few will cost the earth. It's the same thing. You pay for a precision and hand-made tool. I don't doubt that some of what we regard as "feel" in the case of an expensive rod is probably a bit of a placebo effect.

Only you can establish whether you think the rod is worth paying $1000 (or a air bit more now!) for.

Yes, mountain bikes...$5500 - second hand, as was my case  :'( :P But I think it was absolutely worth it.  I guess its the same with rods, looking forward to trying a couple out at some stage.  Ken has kindly sent me a message offering to have a look over his range of rods as he lives in the same area, look forward to it.   

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 22, 2008, 10:15:27 PM
Hey Les, any idea where i might be able to view the specs on the new gt special?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 22, 2008, 11:02:05 PM
It's a running change and should already be available.

Summary:

Around 85-100 grams lighter than previous model (need to double check this)
Thinner, harder EVA grips
No aluminum gimbal - just rubber butt-cap
Slightly faster action

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2008, 08:22:54 AM
Thanks Luke - thought you would have more details available than me. Luke, is there some visual way of telling the difference between the old and new other than feeling the weight of them side by side?

Jordan, have you got all the info you need now?

Cheers

Les

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 23, 2008, 08:44:18 AM
Thanks Luke - thought you would have more details available than me. Luke, is there some visual way of telling the difference between the old and new other than feeling the weight of them side by side?

Jordan, have you got all the info you need now?

Cheers

Les

The old model had a rubber type material over the grip - similar to a smooth cricket bat grip. The new grips are EVA only.

Jason Sladden

December 23, 2008, 02:26:58 PM
I ordered a GT special last month and it doesn't have a gimbal and the grips are EVA. So I would say they are out now (unless you get old stock). Was a bargin at $349 inc postage.

Slads

Brendon Robbins

December 23, 2008, 04:42:46 PM
I ordered a GT special last month and it doesn't have a gimbal and the grips are EVA. So I would say they are out now (unless you get old stock). Was a bargin at $349 inc postage.

Slads

Can you send me a PM regarding where you got it at that price? Sounds a whole lot better than $450 - $500 I have seen - cheers.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2008, 05:44:32 PM
sorry to hijack but im sure you'd like to know too :D

what about the shimano carnx? im thinking of getting the longcast as a step up from the tcurve and monster mesh but is the carnx really worth the extra pennies or will the t curve do the same thing? is it worth the extra pennies or should i just buy the new t curve?

Cheers

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 23, 2008, 06:35:43 PM
I picked my GT special up at a great price as well. Shop around and online and you will find it well below $500. And for that money its well worth it.