Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
just wondering what other people look for on the sounder to have a jig .Drop offs, bumps and stuff.I get excited when we find a tight red ball with bits of blue hanging around.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

MikeOsborn

for us it is big verticle yellow columns around the reefs. otherwise big pins and drop offs or large areas of foul where you know the pelagics lurk.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Yellow collums what brand sounder is that on.Yip have to agree on the drop offs and the pins.But every time we hook up there seems to be blue spots using a foruno FCV620 sounder
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

MikeOsborn

Lowrance and Eagle finders. do you drop long jigs over the big haystacks of snapper?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
um no have not is it worth a go have not jigged a snapper up in NZ yet got a few in Aus ,one day we had a multi hook up of 4 snapper around the 7kg mark off Mooloolaba.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
what do you mean by haystcks ,not sure
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

MikeOsborn

big eyebrows on the sounder . Its well worth dropping a jig, I prefer to work them hard on the bottom then every 10 or so jigs wil do a mechanical style for 10-20m and either drop it back down or bring it up to reposition.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
yer have hooked up here just feeling the bottom kinda just bouncing the jig on the bottom and then bang ,my first thought is that ive got snaged but soon start to win and stoked again ,usually rats
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Tony Jreige

Hey guys,
have a look at the blue spots on this Furuno...
Got tired of getting them that day..
Tony

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
How deep can a sounder work and give good readings? I hitched a ride out to the peak off sydney, 2 weeks ago. We could see the change in depth  etc, but nothing else on the sounder in terms of fish . Is that too deep there to get readings or just a sounder that isnt set up right ( i cant remember the one he had- I think a lowrance)

Tony Jreige

How deep can a sounder work and give good readings? I hitched a ride out to the peak off sydney, 2 weeks ago. We could see the change in depth  etc, but nothing else on the sounder in terms of fish . Is that too deep there to get readings or just a sounder that isnt set up right ( i cant remember the one he had- I think a lowrance)
i dont like Lorance much when fishing the deeper water.
my furuno works perfect, i dont have a problem i identifying kingies in 120m of water (most of the time)
Tony

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Yip ours works fine in the deep stuff.Although we haven't played around with the setup to much.   
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I think the owner of the boat I went out in hasnt set his properly. Makes it very hard to see if there is anythiing around so we were dropping blindly down to the depths. Have to say leatherjackets do suck though...they cut through anything  >:(

Tony Jreige

Yip ours works fine in the deep stuff.Although we haven't played around with the setup to much.   
mate i'd go to mode, change it to none (instead of fishing or cruising), then your gain botton will work, turn it up to max.. that will clear the 50Mhz screen alot better... PM me if you wanna know more.
Tony

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Cheers Tony ,we noticed your was sett up a bit different.Thanks for that.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER