Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE diameters
February 17, 2009, 08:35:43 AM
I thought it might be useful posting up the diameter of the japanese PE lines versus one of the most popular American braids on the market, Western Filaments TF XP. We've always been led to believe that the Japanese PE lines are of a finer diameter than the other braids for the same breaking strain. TF XP has, however, generally tested close to its stated breaking strain. I've also been more inclined to think that the Japanese braids probably break around what is clainmd whereas it is as well known fact that most braids break well above their stated break strains.

The PE diameters below were listed by Greg Burt in another post some time back and are an estimate. PE diameters apparently can also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That said, I think it is quite apparent that the differences in diameters are miniscule, especially once you get to 100lb and above. All of that said, the casting qualities of a line are not just based on its diameter. Varivas GT feels as smooth as slik when you're casting whereas the heavier diameters of TF XP feel quite waxy. TF XP though can be softened by using the Varivas line conditioner on it.

PE DiametersWestern Filament TF XP

65lb - .016"
80lb - .018"
100lb - .019"
130lb - .022"
150lb - .023"
200lb - .028"

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: PE diameters
February 17, 2009, 12:26:46 PM
Brandon,

Have tuff-line made any improvements to their braids recent years. I used some 130lb tuff-line a few years back and was under-impressed by the amount of resistance it created going through the guides, it also seemed to be thicker than varivas PE10!

Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 12:39:42 PM
I can't answer that question, Andy. Did you use Tuff line or Tuff line XP? The Tuff line would definitely be thicker than the TF XP. I've used TF XP and it felt thicker to me too in comparison to Varivas.

Brandon,

Have tuff-line made any improvements to their braids recent years. I used some 130lb tuff-line a few years back and was under-impressed by the amount of resistance it created going through the guides, it also seemed to be thicker than varivas PE10!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 12:59:27 PM
I can't answer that question, Andy. Did you use Tuff line or Tuff line XP? The Tuff line would definitely be thicker than the TF XP. I've used TF XP and it felt thicker to me too in comparison to Varivas.

Brandon,

I'll confirm the 'XP' factor when I get home tonight, good point. I just remember it felt terrible to cast. Do you use the XP 130lb line? and if so how do you find it after adding line conditioner compared varivas PE10.
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 01:12:27 PM
Guys ,

Tufline XP 80 lbs. tested to break at 125 lbs. on average ( Modern Fishing May '08 ) , anybody knows if such test have been on Varivas ? I know some Sunline PE that is IGFA rated which is a good indication of the breaking strain .

If I am not wrong , Tufline XP is a " 4 " braids while Varivas is a " 8 " braids lines , thus the latter is rounder n thinner as well as very limp , thus a better casting line but a bit of Silicon PE Spray on anyline will improve the castability of any line , I suggest you try it .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 01:27:32 PM
Jon, you got me - I read another article a while back where TF XP tested closer to its stated breaking strain that most other braids. If you can get 125lb out of 80lb TF XP, may as well use this due to the simple fact that it casts better than the heavier lines.

Noone I know has conducted any testing of breaking strain on Varivas.

Guys ,

Tufline XP 80 lbs. tested to break at 125 lbs. on average ( Modern Fishing May '08 ) , anybody knows if such test have been on Varivas ? I know some Sunline PE that is IGFA rated which is a good indication of the breaking strain .

If I am not wrong , Tufline XP is a " 4 " braids while Varivas is a " 8 " braids lines , thus the latter is rounder n thinner as well as very limp , thus a better casting line but a bit of Silicon PE Spray on anyline will improve the castability of any line , I suggest you try it .

Jon .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 01:44:01 PM
Guys ,

Jon .

Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:46:34 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 02:02:21 PM
Hi Andy ,

I assume it's on the line itself , I heard knots on PE break at much lower than the rated line's breaking strain .

Hi Brandon ,

Got the info from Modern Fishing magazine May '08 issue with Pat Victorino's photo at the centerfold , can't comment but there were a few PE lines tested and most of them overtest except those with IGFA rated .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 17, 2009, 05:09:09 PM
I've used this guy quite a few times to test out my braid... it's free of charge and all the results are posted here...

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/linetesting.htm

There's no Varivas tests on there as yet... but if someone sends him some samples... that could change  ;) ;D
<*///><

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 06:27:02 PM
Guys,

Sorry, need to ask, how much 80lb tuf line xp can u fit on a 20k fa spool? Machine wound in. Need to know before i purchase the 300y or 600y spool.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2009, 08:04:38 PM
350 - 400 yards, i think

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked: