jay currie

Reels on carry on luggage?
February 21, 2009, 07:55:24 PM
I was just wondering if you guys have any problems taking your reels on your carry on luggage. i am flying out to Fiji on wednesday and will be taking around $3000 worth of reels and realy didnt want to put in with my normal luggage. Thanks

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reels on carry on luggage?
February 21, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
This depends on whether you intend on having the spool attatched to the reel.From my personal experience it will depend on the airline that you travel with & the location that you leave from. Here in Melbourne, they can be very difficult, meaning i have left here with spool attatched & been ok, but have also been in trouble in the same situation, to be safe just take the reel wih you & have your spool in your luggage.

PS: that is unless you can get a note from your mum saying that you will be good on your flight, they mght give you a leave pass. 

jay currie

February 21, 2009, 08:47:34 PM
Thanks bud i will get mum to write the note just incase

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2009, 09:19:54 PM
Jay, they're twice as bad on international as they are domestic. Personally, I wouldn't run the gauntlet - I'd pack it properly into my luggage. In domestic, you can simply just go back and check in another bag but in international it's a bloody mess at that point.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2009, 09:45:01 PM
At Brisbane on the way to NZ, they let me carry on two Stellas and three spare spools fully rigged, but made me leave behind two new full spools of Braid [still in boxes] and two spools of leader, I called the missus up from the car park to collect them. Same Braid and leader but not dangerous on a reel, work that one out :-\
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Colin P

February 21, 2009, 09:48:34 PM
Living in England, I have to fly international to fish at all. Had good and bad experiences with different airports - too much of a gamble. So for me it's now reels in carry-on, spools in the hold.

steve sims

February 22, 2009, 12:32:12 PM
Jay, I travelled to Nadi last year from Perth to Sydney then on to Fiji and had no hassles whatsoever, that being said I got a few strange looks from customs officers (they don't understand that a couple of reels can be more expensive than most laptops) They seemed more concerned that there were no hooks or anything like that in my hand luggage. I would maybe call your airline and check to see before taking the chance.

P.S  Thanks to everybody for for providing such an informative forum, I have been sitting on the sidelines for quite some time now, but the information I have gained so far has been invaluable.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2009, 11:55:58 PM
I was travelling today so I took the opportunity to ask the guys at the x-ray machine what the rule was with fishing reels. They advised me that the rule with fishing reels is that reels are permitted but that line is not. If spools have line on them, they advised the spools should be removed and placed in check-in luggage.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

jay currie

March 05, 2009, 09:04:38 PM
Thanks for the info Brandon i will definitely do that next time

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2009, 08:50:05 PM
I'd be very careful about checking your reels in. Luggage DOES get lost, particularly to exotic destinations!
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Lex Forbes

May 05, 2009, 11:17:09 PM
Just came back fron New cal - reels carried on plane. checked in Aus on way over & New calcoming home for line on spool - Carry spools in luggage and you should be fine

Lex

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 06, 2009, 10:24:25 AM
Coming back from Hamilton Island I carried the full reels on board, I covered the spool with a stubbie holder which covers the line, then I zip tied it around the middle of the spool so it couldn't come off.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 06, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
Does anyone know if poppers are ok in carry-on luggage?
I would assume they would be classed as "low threat"... unless of course you started throwing them at other passengers  ;D
<*///><

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 06, 2009, 07:54:30 PM
Does anyone know if poppers are ok in carry-on luggage?
I would assume they would be classed as "low threat"... unless of course you started throwing them at other passengers  ;D

i tryed that with my experive popper last year but i was told that we can,t have them on carry luggage in the end i got them out and put it in big bag .

as i had my reel on carry luggage .
they want me to take the line off the spool i said no there is like 6 spool there and said go and get your dog or drug scanner . so they did on the drug scanner .
no problem

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 06, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
Lures are fine, but obviously with no hooks.

Hva etaken lures on plane before, no hooks of course