Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spinner blades
March 02, 2009, 06:46:53 PM
Does anyone actually go to the effort of running a spinner blade off the back of a popper where the popper doesn't come with one?

Only a few poppers on the market come with a spinner blade. The Sea Frog instantly comes to mind and I know the Fisherman S-Pop BH Short does, as does the Krog Bigmouth but does anyone go to the trouble of putting one on a popper? I have done it at times with a Cubera with just a treble off the belly but I don't generally do this. It worked fine, btw.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Spinner blades
March 02, 2009, 07:35:26 PM
Hi Brandon ,

The function of spinner blade at the tail is two folds , I was told ; one is to hold the popper from breaking the surface and the other is to create vibration to attract predator .

Jon . 

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 02, 2009, 08:45:12 PM
I do, but not sure how much of a difference it makes to what I chase, or the action of the lure.

By the way, who stocks the larger willow blades in Sydney ? Cant find any, and lost the website bookmark of a place that sells them.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2009, 08:49:08 PM
I use one on a Cubera 100 that I use in the Mooloolaba River system, I give it a few quick jerks between pops for a bit of flash, only been hit once though for no hookups. The blade certainly holds the lure in the water which is OK with poppers but kills the action on a stickbait.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2009, 03:48:21 AM
Does anyone actually go to the effort of running a spinner blade off the back of a popper where the popper doesn't come with one?

Only a few poppers on the market come with a spinner blade. The Sea Frog instantly comes to mind and I know the Fisherman S-Pop BH Short does, as does the Krog Bigmouth but does anyone go to the trouble of putting one on a popper? I have done it at times with a Cubera with just a treble off the belly but I don't generally do this. It worked fine, btw.

Think its more appropriate for "shorter" poppers. will someone be kind enough to try it out on a long popper and report back :)??

Brandon: try putting a blade on a Big Foot.... pardon me for being creative tonight. if it works, i am 1st in like to patent it on a sinking stickbait.

Cheers,
Kai

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2009, 07:04:58 AM
I have! I tired it at Shoalwater two years back but to me (and as you wrote), it works best on short poppers. I don't think it actually killed the action but it changed it a bit. The fish still hit it but I missed a couple and removed the blade to put a hook on.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2009, 09:14:40 PM
Hi Brandon, try Glenn Casey at Bassman Spinnerbaits he makes big blades spinnerbaits for Murray Cod, i got a few big blades off him last year to trial on barra...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2009, 09:32:33 PM
thanks Andrew - I actually have heaps of them which I got from the US a few years back

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2009, 09:41:18 PM
There was a website that used to have them listed but for the life of me cant locate it now as they had all kinds.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked: