Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter OMA92
April 05, 2009, 08:34:35 AM
Hi,

Anyone used one of these rods - Carpenter OMA92 ? Any feedback ?

cheers
Andrew
Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:15:47 AM by Andrew Poulos

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter OMA92
April 05, 2009, 09:20:51 AM
I just bought one recently and have cast it a few times at schools of Tuna... but am yet to get a hook-up so cant comment on how they perform under load.
I've been casting 60-100g poppers/stickbaits with mine and it's very sweet... I cant wait to hook a decent fish on it!
<*///><

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 12:00:15 PM
I have the Carpenter Ocean Revolution OMA92 meaning at the time this particular rod has not yet become part of the non custom Carpenter range , infact mine was one of the first 28 pcs. and I got it in 2005 .

OMA92 is ideal for casting lures 40gr. ~ 80 gr. to a good distance and in my case when YFTs are fuzzy with what they will strike this rod would be called into action . It's a parabolic rod with light action for the purpose of inevitable long fight without stressing the angler , certainly not for macho fisherman . Should work well with any surface feeding fish in open water but not for GT , to date I have caught YFTs , Mahi mahis , Narrow barred mackerels and Skipjack tunas with mine .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 02:36:34 PM
Not meant for GT fishing, but I was thinking of this rod to replace my FSU5120G. Being a bit longer than some of my other rods it would be good for spinning lures (and gars) off the rocks at yellowtail kings. I think it would be too long for boat use. I wish our AU was a bit better as there are some sales going on o/s that I would love to pick up gear from.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 04:20:10 PM
Andrew...Given that the Carpenters are so hard to get....

Check out some of the Zenaq's.....I recently purchased a Zenaq 'Defi Muthos' 9'6 rated PE 3-5.
An awesome rod for spinning metals at pelagics landbased and throwing poppers too.
I know you will want something heavier but check the Zenaq's out.
www.zenaq.com   They are available from Fishhead as you know.

Pete

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 06:08:20 PM
Pete, that rating would be fine for what I want too. The OMA92 is on sale o/s for $434US, but after conversion its $6something.Times like this I wish the dollar were still in the 90s.

I cant see that model listed on Fishhead. Will give them a call to get a price.

How do you find yours - on the Zenaq site it has that it can cast up to 200gs, is it quite a stiff rod? I want a bit of tip for long distance gar casting too.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 07:43:34 PM
I got mine specially ordered in.
Its so nice that Duncan said if I didnt want it he would happily keep it... :D :D

Yeah mate its just a beautifull rod all round.
Great action,Great casting distance.....BUT I cant see how you would throw 200g with it like they say....I mainly throw lures,poppers up to 100g on it.

I suppose the closest comparison I could give you would be a longer version on a saltiga 80tn.

Pete

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 07:53:14 PM
You reckon 125g would be ok out of curiosity?

I feel a phone call coming on to FH... ;D
Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:55:19 PM by Andrew Poulos

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 08:56:36 PM
125g Tops I reckon.

Pete