Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey guys, sorry to bother you with all these capacity questions, i have the following spools

10k, 16k and 20k

and a bulk spool of 60lb tuffline, just wondering how much would i be able to fit on each spool?

Also, for guys using the pr knot, how long are you making them? And are you having problems with the half hitches coming undone? any solutions to that? Has the knot failed you? I've been using them 30lb and up and found that the only problem i have is when i snag up and i cant bust it off! lol half hitches come undone sometimes but i put a dab of superglue on the end of them and it seems to hold up well.

Sometimes i do get problems where braid wraps around the striper or other guides, sometimes it frays the braid and it's quite frustrating, is this because the pr knot is too long or my leader is too long? i use a very leader roughly 1-2 rod lengths depending on location and target fish. my pr knot is usually 7cm long. Any solutions?

Cheers
Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:34:34 PM by Gavin Ng

Rob Ciotucha

Hi Gavin with regards to PR knots, After every couple of half hitches make sure you pull them realy tight. I havent had a problem with these coming undone. I used to make my PR knots around 7cm aswell, until i was advised to make them shorter. I now make them around 4cms long and have had no problem at all with these coming undone.

Cheers
Rob

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
cheers rob, it makes sense that after the knot goes past a certain length, there's no real benifit to having them any longer. The shorter knot will help casting, and hitting guides, not to mention saving from braid the spool!

Cheers!

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
when you say you have reduced the length of the PR to 4cm are you referring to the bobbin wrapped length only - sounds really short if that includes the hitches? I've always done 7 cm which always seemed a bit ridiculous so I'm happy to shorten it if you haven't had any problems with 4cm of wraps.   I wonder if the shortened PR  would be any better than an FG though?

Rob Ciotucha

Hi Sam thats 4cms of the bobbin wrapped part. I have tested them even shorter and still had no problem with them slipping.

Cheers
Rob

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Gavin, if the Spools are FA as stated, they are either old model FA [Aus] SW[Jap] 10k, 16k and 20k, or new SW models 10k, 18k and 20k.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
sorry mate my bad i meant 10k, 16k and 20k, post edited, cheers

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
No worries Gavin, I presume you have the Tufline 65lb which is .405mm or appox PE6, good luck ;D

Stella FA model (2002-2008)

10000 Spool PE3/550m, PE4/400m, PE5/300m, PE6/250m, PE8/170m

20000 Spool PE4/750m, PE5/600m, PE6/500m,   PE8/350m                                PE10/250m                                     

16000 Spool PE4/500m, PE5/400m, PE6/300m   

Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:08:07 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Greg, for those guys who are using the 20k spool to pop, does it affect the casting distance of the reel when compared to the the 10k and 16 spools? I herd somewhere that the lip design is different from those designed from casting is this true?

Cheers