jay currie

I'm looking to purchase my second gt rod and I'm after something to handle the big poppers (I'm sure Brandon has had enough of me asking about each rod I look at ;D) just curious what rod people would choose for this application.
Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:41:44 AM by jay currie

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
you should tell them which Hammerhead you want to use!!   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

jay currie

G-cup and maybe I-cup later on

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
i've attached a picture of a new model that should handle the G and I cups  :o ;) :D

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Take Travis' sturdy new popping rod and attach it to a 'modified for popping' "Iron Byron" mechanical swing machine, bolt it onto the boat and you can work your G and I cups without raising a sweat. ;) ;D ;D

Or find an SP78UHL, an SP78EXH works G-cups ok.
Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:46:19 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
XOS cup-faced poppers like Hammerheads can generate a lot of water resistance in order to create huge amounts of water displacement. You will need a fast action rod to get the most out of these lures. Fast actions can punish an angler physically during a fight but will enable the angler to work these lures with more effect and apply the heat to fish should they be physically capable. You will generally find that you are working against the bend/saturation of a slow action rod in order to get the lure working - this is the disadvantage of slow.

My favorite rod for such application is a Fisherman GT Monster 77 R10. I also agree with some of the other rods already mentioned.