• GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter May 2007
May 25, 2007, 01:57:28 PM
Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter May 2007

Here is an excerpt from the newsletter:

Shoalwater Bay 2007 
UNBELIEVABLE GT action is the only way to describe this week. We fished the lead up to the full moon in April with George Pang, Steve Kakavas, Brandon Khoo and Peter Edwards fishing alongside our guides Damon, Tim, Ed, Liam and Jason. Biggest GT hooked was around 55kgs, and there were many of these. Brandon Khoo hooked up 4 monsters in the last 2 days to get the unlucky bugger of the week award. There were many personal best GTs landed, and the average fish size was between 25 - 30kgs, with many 40kg to 50kg fish seen every day. The number and size of the G's at this location is astonishing. CLICK HERE for the full trip report on the website with all the pics from the week...

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Nomad Sportfishing Newsletter May 2007
May 25, 2007, 02:08:31 PM
Has anyone seen that new DVD on Shoalwater?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 03:52:40 PM
I'm the unlucky bugger in question   :'(

I hooked one GT that looked around 55kg and then the escapee from Jurassic Park which kicked my butt was noticeably bigger. I have no idea how big this one was. I've seen big fish but this was ridiculous. All this was within about twenty minutes of each other. I lost my last five fish of the trip in a row but the last one was only a "midget" around 35kg BUT it was a jet black coloured one which i really wanted.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 05:22:18 PM
I'm the unlucky bugger in question   :'(

I hooked one GT that looked around 55kg and then the escapee from Jurassic Park which kicked my butt was noticeably bigger. I have no idea how big this one was. I've seen big fish but this was ridiculous. All this was within about twenty minutes of each other. I lost my last five fish of the trip in a row but the last one was only a "midget" around 35kg BUT it was a jet black coloured one which i really wanted.

That's what happens when you start discussing about using minnows for GTS :P

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 05:29:52 PM
but I only did it AFTER Shoalwater. I must have been punished for thinking about it when I was out there already   :o

I better be careful if I am so transparent with my thoughts lest I get arrested!!   ;D

Hal Harvey

May 26, 2007, 03:19:06 PM

It's still in the final production stages, so not actually out yet. They're trying to digitally remove all of Brandon's minnows and replace them with poppers, but it's time-consuming.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2007, 04:48:10 PM

It's still in the final production stages, so not actually out yet. They're trying to digitally remove all of Brandon's minnows and replace them with poppers, but it's time-consuming.

:D ;D :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 26, 2007, 07:41:58 PM
The Shoalwater DVD is actually based on 2006, not this year. Damon did want to film this year but their cameraman got injured and had to go into hospital on the eve of the trip. I for one am thankful for that. If any of you read the trip report on the Nomad site, I would never have lived down the incident where I dented the new rails on one of the dories if it had been filmed.

You see, this imbecile (me)  ::) decided that he had lost too many lures and that in the really shallow areas which were covered in bommies that he needed to really wind the drag up. I've obviously been listening to Jon too much with his "no line out" principle.

Well, the stickbait got smacked by a massive fish that would have 50kg+. It was a huge fish in really shallow water. Damon reverses and I'm in that squatting position with the rod high. With a drag set at about 18 to 20kg, well, something has to give and it was me. I got pulled over the rails and both my feet lifted about six inches to a foot off the deck. Thank God the Nomad deckie Liam pulled me back down. That wasn't the end of it. Damon then drives out but the fish didn't like that idea and it pulled back. As a result I got slammed into the rails and dented them and then i was bouncing back and forth as the fish and Damon played pinball with me. If Aaron had filmed that..........

I was actually quite sure I had cracked a rib initially but it was only bruised. Not my finest moment   :D
Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 08:54:56 PM by Brandon

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 26, 2007, 07:53:15 PM
Are the dory rails strong enough for the Telecom rope? ::) ;)
You can use the Telecom rope to troll your minnows!!!
Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:57:48 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 09:31:46 AM
Struth Brandon, That is just nuts - sure sounds hard core, I so can't wait for my turn...... I hope that Aaron is OK.

If you read this Aaron -  get well yo we love ya work -

p.s ; I am prepared to step up for you if required bro, i will be your wing man any time......   ;)

I want that Jurassic park fish - he has my name all over him....  :o

8)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 02:37:31 PM
with a bit of luck, you'll get your turn next year, Pete. Luck is really only for the weather - the fish will be there. The big fish are certainly out there and there are some spots which are more forgiving too so if you hook a big fish, you actually have a decent chance. Of course, there are also many spots where you know it is death to cast it in if there is a decent fish in there but it is so hard to resist! Mind you, I paid dearly for this lack of self-control   :D

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 04:54:47 PM
I had a look at the place on some maps.  Almost tempting to tow the boat down to give it a crack.  Would be a mission for sure with 100k's of dirt leading to Stanage, but looks do-able.  Ah, maybe getting ahead of myself, still plenty of exploring to do at home yet..

steve.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 05:43:23 PM
How far from cairns do you need to travel to find good numbers of GT's Stephen?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 07:11:10 PM
About 10km of road and 30km in the boat from my front door.  Been dying to get out and have another trip but between work and the wind lately I haven't had a chance. 

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 07:54:13 PM
I had a look at the place on some maps.  Almost tempting to tow the boat down to give it a crack.  Would be a mission for sure with 100k's of dirt leading to Stanage, but looks do-able.  Ah, maybe getting ahead of myself, still plenty of exploring to do at home yet..

steve.

Steve,

Just FYI, i was under the impression that a lot of the Shoalwater Bay (if not all) is under military control, therefore no civilians are allowed in. I could be wrong though - not to say that surrounding areas may not also hold big fish too? I understand that Damon has explicit permission to fish the area (but hasn't always ;))