Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jazzing up lures
May 29, 2007, 10:13:18 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone add that "little" extra to their lures for when they find the fish are finnicky...

I tend to use some fly tail material in ghost white or pearl blue on the the trebles of lures. With the stickbaits that I have used lately , due to the clear water around here I have just painted the trebles red to see if that helps reduce shyness.

Ive seen some lures have the metal blade on the rear as well - has that helped anyone ?

cheers
andrew

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Jazzing up lures
May 29, 2007, 01:15:14 PM
I often use blades on the back of my poppers and only have one treble on them. I find that with this, it gives more options on how you use the popper. Apart from the more traditional chugging action,  a quicker action with fast jerks of the rod works quite well with a spinner blade on the back. There is simply more flash to the action and I have found the blade to enhance the fish attracting qualities of the lure.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2007, 02:31:51 PM
Yip check out this puppy didn't work to well would not sink fast but looked awesome coming back up .                                                  Its a 300gram river to sea knife with a skirt glued on ,was a bit board one night i call it the hula jig
Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:39:37 PM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 01:45:14 AM
I often use blades on the back of my poppers and only have one treble on them. I find that with this, it gives more options on how you use the popper. Apart from the more traditional chugging action,  a quicker action with fast jerks of the rod works quite well with a spinner blade on the back. There is simply more flash to the action and I have found the blade to enhance the fish attracting qualities of the lure.

I find spinner blade tends to " hold " the popper and prevent it from cartwheeling when jerked too vigorously , it functions as " propeller " to keep the popper in straight line motion throughout .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 07:19:03 AM
I often use blades on the back of my poppers and only have one treble on them.

I find spinner blade tends to " hold " the popper and prevent it from cartwheeling when jerked too vigorously , it functions as " propeller " to keep the popper in straight line motion throughout .

Jon .

Very interesting discussion.

Brandon/Jon, do you add aftermarket blades or do your poppers come with the blade?  If the former, can you specify a manufacturer/supplier and brand or size? 
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 01:39:49 PM
Hi Andrew - I haven't found them in Australia although you should be able to get them. After all, they are the blades used in spinner blade lures. I got mine in Singapore.

I use the biggest ones I can get.

Some of the more expensive poppers do come with spinner blades like the Fisherman Krogs.

I agree with Jon in that the blade acts almost like a type of rudder.

Neil Griffiths

May 30, 2007, 05:32:56 PM
Plenty of different sizes available in both Colorado and Willow patterns, from 1cm long to 100cm long. Gold or silver.
Most opt for #5 or #6 Colorado (the rounded type) size 6 is 45mm long and 30mm wide.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 06:00:18 PM
Neil - you have these in stock?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 06:35:03 PM
100cm long

I hope that's a typo ;D

Neil,

Are you able to give the guys an indication of pricing?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 07:01:12 PM
Hey Luke - with what we were discussing, this would be one seriously big lure!!   :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 07:03:20 PM
Hey Luke - with what we were discussing, this would be one seriously big lure!!   :D

Very true...hopefully we will get to try it in September ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 07:33:29 PM
holy smoke, Luke - I might leave it to you to throw the 1m long lure around!!  :o

Neil Griffiths

May 30, 2007, 08:42:17 PM
I think it's called half a rubbish bin.
Should have been 100mm.
#6 gold - $2 each, less for bulk.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 30, 2007, 08:51:28 PM
boy, if you use those gold SJ-41 or SJ-51 owners hooks with a gold blade on the back there will be some serious bling on the lure!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 31, 2007, 01:28:19 AM
Guys ,

Here is the outfit I buy the spinner blades from : http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/spinner_blades.html

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .