DarrenC

A Question on Diameter
July 23, 2009, 10:31:58 PM
Has anyone measured the diameters of lines in the extreme end of the scale, i'm talking about Varivas PE12 and Tufline 130lb. I'm torn between the two, Tuf should offer better shock strength but i'm worried it may be alot thicker, is this true?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Question on Diameter
July 23, 2009, 10:40:58 PM
Darren, the two lines you are comparing are not directly comparable. Varivas PE12 is 170lb. It is the PE10 which is 130lb.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

DarrenC

July 23, 2009, 10:52:41 PM
Darren, the two lines you are comparing are not directly comparable. Varivas PE12 is 170lb. It is the PE10 which is 130lb.

Yeah Brandon, but i figure Tuf will overtest quite spectacularly thus am keen to compare these two against one another. Basically i'm looking for the strongest usable models from each brand, and weighing out the pros and cons...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 23, 2009, 10:58:03 PM
If you're looking for the strongest TF XP, then it comes in 150lb and 200lb.
I'm not sure the degree to which it will over-test - or not. I've seen various tests in the past where it has and others where it has been pretty line ball but TF XP has not been among those that have over-tested spectacularly as far as I can remember.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 24, 2009, 08:03:25 AM
Darren
I had some Tufline XP 130lb tested... and after a series of tests, it's average breaking strain came in at 156lb... yes, it's strong stuff eh?... but casting it is another matter! It feels like waxy rope, so you wont get the distance of Varivas. You also wont fit much more than around 160m on a 18K spool... which will see you at around 2/3 of a spool or less on a decent cast.
I like Tufline to around 80lb, but Varivas after that.
Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:02:10 PM by Robert Palcak
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2009, 08:43:50 AM
if you're going to continue chasing blue cod, you might need the rope, Rob!  ;)

AustralianAngling

July 24, 2009, 02:31:01 PM
VARIVAS diameter
PE # 8 / 100lb - 0.470mm its equivalent to 30lb mono in dia.
PE #10 / 130lb - 0.520mm its equivalent to 35lb mono in dia.
PE #12 / 170lb - 0.570mm its equivalent to 40lb mono in dia.

TUF Line XP
From what they advertise
80lb is 0.018" = 0.450mm
100lb is 0.019" = 0.475mm
130lb is 0.022" = 0.550mm

Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:44:57 PM by Steve

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 24, 2009, 04:58:47 PM
Although I prefer Varivas, there really isn't a major hands-on practical performance difference. The waxy feel wears off eventually and Tuf Line XP comes quite supple.

I rate it very highly.

DarrenC

July 24, 2009, 05:30:23 PM
If you're looking for the strongest TF XP, then it comes in 150lb and 200lb.
I'm not sure the degree to which it will over-test - or not. I've seen various tests in the past where it has and others where it has been pretty line ball but TF XP has not been among those that have over-tested spectacularly as far as I can remember.

Thanks Brandon. Am aware there are much stronger poundages, that's why i stated i wanted to find the highest USABLE strength... it'll be mad to load a popping reel with anything thicker than the rope that the 130lb already is!

As Robert pointed out, his average results are close to 160lb, very near to the Varivas which i gather will not overtest. Pretty interesting considering the manufacturer claimed diameter is thinner than that of Varivas (thanks Steve)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2009, 05:47:43 PM
The concept of what is useable varies from person to person.

A Number of European GT anglers are using 150lb to 200lb hollow braids like Jerry Brown and Tufline. Clearly, the heavier lines in these diameters are useable to them.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 24, 2009, 06:14:36 PM
Just to take a side step...

How do people feel about using anything higher than 130lb braid?
My thoughts are that 130lb will push almost all tackle to the max... plus some!
With 130lb, you still get to fish at full drag if you want... palm the spool if you do need to lock up... and you still get a fair bit of shock absorbtion.
I've read, that some of the most powerful rods on the market have been broken and high end reels have fallen to bits when pushing PE12... or greater... to the max.
No matter how much I want to land that fish of a life time... assuming I'm pushing my tackle to it's limits... I'd still probably prefer that my braid breaks first... maybe it's just because I havn't encountered a 60kg GT yet  :o
Admittedly, I am still toying with buying a spool of PE12 ::)
Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:17:11 PM by Robert Palcak
<*///><

DarrenC

July 24, 2009, 06:27:07 PM
The concept of what is useable varies from person to person.

A Number of European GT anglers are using 150lb to 200lb hollow braids like Jerry Brown and Tufline. Clearly, the heavier lines in these diameters are useable to them.

Haha ok sorry then... i forgot to add the words 'useable to me'.

Leading manufacturer Varivas produces PE-12 as the heaviest possible popping-specific PE line on the market, so i'd assume this is the heaviest line that falls under 'useable' to any sane popping enthusiast. My reasons for comparing it with Tufline 130lb is...

Both lines look pretty much the same diameter wise, and Steve has confirmed my suspicion. And i figured they'd have similar breaking strains, which Robert had confirmed.

My questions have been answered, and Luke says it best by saying what he said.

Cheers

DarrenC

July 24, 2009, 06:37:45 PM
Just to take a side step...

How do people feel about using anything higher than 130lb braid?
My thoughts are that 130lb will push almost all tackle to the max... plus some!
With 130lb, you still get to fish at full drag if you want... palm the spool if you do need to lock up... and you still get a fair bit of shock absorbtion.
I've read, that some of the most powerful rods on the market have been broken and high end reels have fallen to bits when pushing PE12... or greater... to the max.
No matter how much I want to land that fish of a life time... assuming I'm pushing my tackle to it's limits... I'd still probably prefer that my braid breaks first... maybe it's just because I havn't encountered a 60kg GT yet  :o
Admittedly, I am still toying with buying a spool of PE12 ::)

My reason (and mine only) for choosing the heavy line is for greatest possible shock load strength, and i've found there's no substitute for diameter if u want to really punch those trebles into a rampaging GT's jaw. I feel that the strike drag settings should be no higher than what u'd be using with PE-10 line, but of course when push comes to shove, it's good to know u can push more and then some!