Anthony Dillon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
testing Braid strength
June 13, 2010, 03:16:12 PM
Hi all, would really appreciate any info or instructions on protocols for testing a braids breaking strength.

The simpler the better please.

Thanks

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: testing Braid strength
June 13, 2010, 04:57:22 PM
Hi Anthony ,

Still baffled by the line breakings on your most recent trip ?

Anyway , procedures such as Instron test may work but in my opinion , for fishing situation especially with full contact " no line out " situation , I think the slowly increased load of Instron test does not work . It wud be interesting to measure how fast the load increase in minute of a second which translate in IMPACT load that the PE line , leader , rod n reel as well as our limbs must absorb during a savage strike by a big GT .

I am still of the opinion it's better , for GT fishing , to use thicker braided line rather than use thinner braided line of the same breaking strain . I still have faith in Varivas GT Max and avoid using Varivas SMP . I sometimes use YGK brand too but my experiences with Ultra does not convince mr to use the thin braided line for GT .

Simple test ? Tying one end of a line to a peg and the other end to a brick , drop the brick from a certain height may equate to a savage strike of big angry GT , may be . :-\

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .