• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
hi simon .

i would go for the SW8000PG model and buy Spare SW10000 spool so you can have two different class on it .
as i have noticed that you wanted a pe3-6 class in your another post for jigging. then you would be happy to get away with a spare spool one day when you get spooled from the big fish  :D.
also you can share with your stella HG or XG model too .

eg .
SW8000PG reel $950 plus spare SW10000 $250 = $1200

SW10000PG JDM  with NO spare spool  = $1150 plus custom tax .
that is a rough idea).

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for the feedback Mick.  I am definitely leaning towards the spare spool option due to the flexibility factor.  Do you know if there is any reason why the JDM models are more expensive?  Is there physically anything different about them to justify the difference in cost?

Cheers,
Simon

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
hey simon, there was a review of the SW stellas on the forum a little while back. if you use the search function on the site you should be able to find it. from memory there is very little in difference between the JDM and export models.

cheers
AKA: Sunny

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks for the feedback Mick.  I am definitely leaning towards the spare spool option due to the flexibility factor.  Do you know if there is any reason why the JDM models are more expensive?  Is there physically anything different about them to justify the difference in cost?

Cheers,
Simon

The JDM versions have a serial number on the reel foot and a different colored handle. The JDM 8k has a carbon knob grip and the ROW has a standard handle, fundamentally I think that is it.
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
There is no engineering or specification difference between JDM and US/Export Stella SW models.

The only difference as pointed out by Andy - is handle shank colour and carbon grip. Carbon grip is only available on XG (HG) models, which would explain part of the cost difference. Carbon knobs are readily available in Australia.

One thing that the US/Export model has over the JDM model is an additional proprietary anti-corrosion coating treatment on the spool.

Gus Connor

Mate I live in indo and a local fishing shop in bali said they could only buy the whole handle not just the carbon knob for the stella.

Where can you get them in aus and what is the rough price? (might have some winnings after tonights game against the safas, but then again might be short of cash and have a new hair cut if the wallabies loose!)

Cheers guys and hope to post some pics of some gt's soon.  Getting smashed at the moment on the rocks but will run into a stupid one sooner or later if the locals dont get there with a spear first.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Gus, I'd suggest your local fishing shop is having you on. Shimano do not sell the carbon knob and handle as one piece. The carbon knob is an aftermarket option and you can buy this from any Shimano stockist - although you will probably have to order it.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
On the topic of accessories...

I'm just wondering if Shimano yumeya has any plans on the drawing board for a larger capacity SW10K spool?? Anyone!!

I note the Yumeya SW20K spool has significantly increased capacity by making a more narrow arbor.

I'm curious as the 10k has a very similar drag capability to the 18k and it would be nice to be able to get a bit more PE6 or PE8 on it to confidently tackle bigger game, I wonder if something like the capacity of a 16k spool would be physically possible.

perhaps you know a little more about this possibility Luke?

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Gus, I'd suggest your local fishing shop is having you on. Shimano do not sell the carbon knob and handle as one piece. The carbon knob is an aftermarket option and you can buy this from any Shimano stockist - although you will probably have to order it.

Brandon,

can i ask you if it is ok,

do you use the carbon knob at all for your popping?

do you prefer the handle that originally come's with Stella's   or   will you opt and or swap over to the carbon knob?

when i was in David and Rudy's Tackle shop,  it was not until not long before we left that i saw it sitting in a cabinet as i wish it was the first thing i saw straight away as i liked it and i most probably would of bought one but as i had all-ready bought a few other things.   Anyway not to worry,  there's allway's next time.

I noticed to when we got onto the boat that David had the carbon knob on his Stella.

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:

hi matt .

simon has brought the sw8000pg from local shop with 10 year warrenty is way better than ebay.
  :-X  ::) ;D

the price i said is an rough idea cos all store have different price ;). but the price has gone up alot which it will be harder to get good value combo  :-X.

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Will a 10000 spool placed on a 8000PG (JDM) or STL8000SWPG reel give the same retrieval rate as the 10000PG (JDM)? Looking at the figures it would seem so, i.e. 101 cm/rev, the larger spool making up the 8 cm/rev.

8000PG   4.9   14kg/25kg   605   PE3-410m, PE4-300m,PE5-250m   93cm/rev   14/1
10000PG   4.9   14kg/23kg   625   PE4-400m, PE5-300m,PE6-270m   101cm/rev   14/1

Cheers, Matt

Marc Towers

Hi Guys,

very interested in this post - contemplating what gear to buy for my first outfit as i have become 'hooked' on jigging recently and looking to buy my first outfit..

If i can justify the expense ;) i am thinking of a SW8000PG reel Japan model, to go with a Fisherman Spinoza Amberjack rod, as i think the 10k may not balance the outfit as well..? ???

However, i would like the back up of a stronger line, say PE6, so like the spare 10k spool idea being discussed - Am i right in looking at previous posts that a Stella SW 10K spool can be used with a stella SW 8k reel...? :)

Thanks,

Marc.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Guys,

very interested in this post - contemplating what gear to buy for my first outfit as i have become 'hooked' on jigging recently and looking to buy my first outfit..

If i can justify the expense ;) i am thinking of a SW8000PG reel Japan model, to go with a Fisherman Spinoza Amberjack rod, as i think the 10k may not balance the outfit as well..? ???

However, i would like the back up of a stronger line, say PE6, so like the spare 10k spool idea being discussed - Am i right in looking at previous posts that a Stella SW 10K spool can be used with a stella SW 8k reel...? :)

Thanks,

Marc.

Hi Marc,

That is correct for the new SW stella's, i have an 8K PG and 10K XG and extra 10K spools for each.
Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:04:04 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT