Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Daiwa Saltiga Extreme 56XHFS - PE 8-10??
August 12, 2009, 05:13:26 PM
Hey Guys, have just purchased a Daiwa Saltiga Extreme 56XHFS (the spin version).  Its rated for 300-500 gram jigs and PE 8-10.  I'm currently using it with an Expedition loaded with PE 8 (YGK Ultra)and it makes pretty short work of most kings around NSW (after being dusted a couple of times on lighter gear) and seems to work OK with 300gm jigs.  I am heading over to Fiji early in the new year and just wondering whether I will be able to push it to the full on PE 8 with the doggies and GT's as the rating may suggest.  I bought it hoping it would handle this work and still be light enough to run the lighter jigs (250 - 350 gms), but after using it, I'm not so sure!  The rod weighs 440grams so it's no light weight, but I ussume its full carbon.  Any experiences or thoughts on how hard I can push it!  It seems to be the eternal quest to find a rod light enough to work the light jigs (for long periods) with the pulling power to stand a chance against a trophy fish!

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Daiwa Saltiga Extreme 56XHFS - PE 8-10??
August 12, 2009, 06:12:27 PM
It's a Saltiga mate. Seen a 50lb rated rod land a 74kg dogtooth in Fiji so put your back into it and you should be okay. Don't sweat it s far as the rod goes.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 07:42:40 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Sachin, it's a long way home to get another rod if I pop it on the first day!

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 08:39:04 PM
Peter.

with-out being rude I do have some pretty good experience(s) in jigging and I am someone who can say this to you with a huge amount of confidence and in a friendly way,      yes there is no doubt that this rod (Saltiga S-Extreme 56XHFS) will handle and catch you trophy fish, big Doggies, e.t.c, no worries at all.

will it be ok enough to run 250 - 350gram jigs?

my answer to that= I do not see why it shouldn't.

I totally agree with you to in that this rod is far to heavy and over-kill for kings in and around NSW.

I hope that this is or may be of some help to you.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2009, 09:07:55 PM
Thanks Sam, sounds like the salty might be getting a spot in the Rod tube on the way to F1J1.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 29, 2009, 06:12:21 AM
go to the gym to get the most out of this rod, they are a weapon, but you need to be fit to really put a bend in it
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER