Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WV80XH vs RF 78XH
August 16, 2009, 09:34:06 AM
Hi guys,

I am interested in buying a rod to use for larger poppers, in the 170-230gm range. I currently have a Komodo Dragon which I quite like, but which I felt struggled with the lures towards the upper part of that weight range (such as the Hammerhead I-Cup)

I am seriously considering one of the above 2 rods. I have not fished with either. I am familiar with the RF brand as I have a GT79R and also had a bit of a fish with a 78PF on one trip and I really like their rods.

Has anyone by chance fished both of these rods? If so, any thoughts on how they differ?

Otherwise, if anyone can give any comments I would appreciate it.

Lastly, although the above 2 are my primary targets, if anyone has something else to suggest I would be interested. Please bear in mind I am average height, build, strength etc, so I am looking for a rod that will use these larger lures effectively, because I think they are an important part of the arsenal, but is not the most brutal rod in that weight range.

cheers

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: WV80XH vs RF 78XH
August 16, 2009, 11:59:31 AM
Hi guys,

I am interested in buying a rod to use for larger poppers, in the 170-230gm range. I currently have a Komodo Dragon which I quite like, but which I felt struggled with the lures towards the upper part of that weight range (such as the Hammerhead I-Cup)

I am seriously considering one of the above 2 rods. I have not fished with either. I am familiar with the RF brand as I have a GT79R and also had a bit of a fish with a 78PF on one trip and I really like their rods.

Has anyone by chance fished both of these rods? If so, any thoughts on how they differ?

Otherwise, if anyone can give any comments I would appreciate it.

Lastly, although the above 2 are my primary targets, if anyone has something else to suggest I would be interested. Please bear in mind I am average height, build, strength etc, so I am looking for a rod that will use these larger lures effectively, because I think they are an important part of the arsenal, but is not the most brutal rod in that weight range.

cheers

Hi Scott,

Although I'm a big fan of Carps and own several, personally I would avoid the WV80XH for said purpose. If you were above average strength then yes, but I think the rod is too long and heavy for an average person on I-cups, unless you want to do it in short stints. I would go for something a bit shorter to increase efficiency with an I-cup style lure. I've tried several of the RF's and love them but can't say how the 78XH would handle a big chunk of wood like an I cup but I think your getting warmer with that style of rod. Only my humble opinion all of us are different though.

Cheers
Andy
Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:03:17 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 16, 2009, 03:11:57 PM
Scotty, the WV really isn't the ideal rod for poppers of that size. The Ripple XH however, would be ideal as would a SP78UHL.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 16, 2009, 03:19:05 PM
Thanks to both of you. It find it very difficult to get a 'feel' for a rod's capabilities just from reading manufacturer's stats, especially when you I don't have any experience with the Carpenter style

I was leaning towards the RF because I like the two I have used and I think I will go that way

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 16, 2009, 03:36:18 PM
Unless you are prepared to wait indefinately, I think the RF may just be your only viable option too!
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 16, 2009, 04:20:03 PM
Actually had a Carpenter option so both viable...  ;)