MikeOsborn

Yellowfin Jigging
August 22, 2009, 05:50:17 AM
Hey guys. I bailed NZ for winter and am currently living and working in Puerto Vallarta mexico.
I'm working on a 57 Dean Johnson fishing Marlin and tuna and have had OK luck on poppers and casting jigs but I want to do more vertical jigging like back home. The skipper is coming back from The states with a whole bunch of new heavier jigs.
We are fishing on an almost daily basis and recently the water has been up around 92f which has slowed the surface bite on our livies for the yft considerably. We are still marking good sign down deep but havent had much sucess as yet on the jigs.

what are prefered jigs and methods for Tuna?

I will post some pics when I have time.
We got a big pargo snapper in the 50-60lb class the other day on a jig so hopefully I can get more jiggy jig action happening here!

I am kicking myself for not bringing my own pop and jig gear but I didnt have space.

cheers guys

Mike

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Yellowfin Jigging
August 22, 2009, 10:05:32 AM
I have found an fast jigging action with plenty of movement works well. As for jigs, match the hatch...in New Cal we were using short sea rocks as that is what they were feeding on..off Sydney we often use knife jigs, but the shorter, lighter ones (like 180-250gms)

Pinks, blues and silvers seem to do well

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
August 27, 2009, 06:12:22 PM
Mozz,

Glad to hear things are going well out there mate...

YFT jigging as Scott says, is often about matching the hatch... we've had no success here in SA on longer Jigs, in the Cape... its all been short Hooker 1's and Anatahan style jigs in natural colours, mainly blues and silvers.... all chrome silver has been most effective, and with a fairly slow jigging action....

But certainly not an exact science is it... try a bunch of tactics till you get hit... seems the Tuna like a fluttering on the drop, rather than a depth charger.... I'd start with flatter wider flutter jigs, and then speed up if no action, and then onto longer knife style jigs...

Chat soon

Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 19, 2009, 07:22:56 AM
All my yellows have come off hooker style jigs and anatahans like andre says , how deep you marking sighn? andermans should work well in silver/blue ??