Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new rod's finished
June 13, 2007, 02:12:42 PM
Here's a couple pics of the new rod.  Calstar GF700H blank, MNSG guides, home-made to a Bluewater recipe (except non reverse stripper).  Kept the bindings simple 'cause I'm only a beginner, but very happy with the result. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: new rod's finished
June 13, 2007, 02:13:13 PM
ddf
Cairns Bommie Basher

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 02:13:37 PM
afad
Cairns Bommie Basher

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 04:23:34 PM
Very nice you have done a top job Stephen looks like a shop brought one.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

lonhro

June 13, 2007, 04:56:10 PM
Very Nice Stephen,

looks very very nice. how long did it take you to make all up ???

Very impressive Rod got a name for it ???

Randalz

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 05:39:18 PM
Nice job stephen, how difficult is it to do the bindings?

Love the blue grips  ;D

Perrie Thomas

June 13, 2007, 05:48:59 PM
good job mate..simple but effective...now get out and blood it !!!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 07:03:36 PM
Thanks fellas,

I can honestly say it turned out a lot better than I had expected. 

Before starting out I looked around on the web for some hints.  There are some really good tips including video tutorials on the mudhole website http://shop.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101  .

I set my new home-made rod rotisserie up on the coffee table in front of the tv so I could sit and be comfortable while working.  One thing I gleaned was it's very important not to rush it. 

To tension the thread, I loaded it onto an old Jigmaster I don't use anymore (but has a great drag) and held it between my knees while slowly turning the blank by hand in the rotisserie (not connected to the motor). 

This took a while, but made it easy to avoid gaps in the bindings and maintain a constant tension. 

Once wrapped I attached the rod to the drying motor and applied two coats of finish at 24hr intervals.  Here was my only hiccup, as I didn't heat both parts of the first coat and ended up with a few tiny bubbles that I couldn't get rid of.  The drying rotisserie worked very well though, giving a great even finish. 

Total build time was about four days, including time spent drying. 

All up it was quite a hassle free experience, and I can see how guys get hooked on rodbuilding.  I'm already looking at my rack, trying to decide what to replace next!

Cairns Bommie Basher

Perrie Thomas

June 24, 2007, 10:29:57 PM
mmmm....had that feeling about 15 years ago........now i cant get away from the damn bench !!!

for future builds re. the resin, i throw part 'A' in the microwave for 10 seconds, then put both 'A' & 'B" in for an additional 8 seconds...increases the viscosity just right...

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 14, 2007, 07:06:09 AM
Have you road tested the rod yet Stephen?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 14, 2007, 08:25:25 AM
Unfortunately still haven't tried the new rod, apart from a few test casts off the beach.  It's been blowing over 15 knots consistently for the last two and a half months up here, with one or two short breaks thrown in.  Haven't been able to get out which has been driving me crazy 'cause the reef would be going off about now. 

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 15, 2007, 10:46:49 AM
I was addicted to rod-building years ago but I had to stop. I was building rods I knew I'd never use but I found all sorts of excuses to convince myself I needed to do it. I got into all the fancy binding and actually, still have the books somewhere. I'm pretty sure I still have that very expensive Gudebrod thread lying around somewhere. The books cost me a mint - had to get them posted over from the USA which was a far more involved process pre-eBay and PAYPAL.

So what did I do? Went from making fishing rods to golf clubs. The equipment cost me far more than what the rod-making stuff ever did!!  ::)
If it swims; I want to catch it!