Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kaibatsu Broken on GT
October 14, 2009, 01:20:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNJETVfilg#noexternalembed

At last after nearly a year we have the footage of the 'Kaibatsu Surface monster' braking on a very strong GT. This was from our first to Alor trip on a very unsuitable craft, note Brads 'fighting hole' position. Brad was getting line on the fish but it looks like it was spooked by the boat and made sudden surge for freedom which resulted in the rod failure.

Enjoy ;D
Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:23:15 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Narc

Re: Kaibatsu Broken on GT
October 14, 2009, 02:40:49 AM
Dear Andy,

haha.. that was quite entertaining!

I do think was a slight element of high sticking in there.
Although the rod was held almost horizontally, but if the GT was dash across from under the boat, the acute angle between rod and line would still constitute the same effect as high sticking.
I guess the 'firing hole' just added more to the whole failure.

Can't see the angle of the line so I'm really not sure, just my opinion.

adrien antunes

October 14, 2009, 02:53:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNJETVfilg#noexternalembed

At last after nearly a year we have the footage of the 'Kaibatsu Surface monster' braking on a very strong GT. This was from our first to Alor trip on a very unsuitable craft, note Brads 'fighting hole' position. Brad was getting line on the fish but it looks like it was spooked by the boat and made sudden surge for freedom which resulted in the rod failure.

Enjoy ;D

How much drag?? ;D

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 14, 2009, 06:07:43 PM
Hi Ah Gun / Adrian,

Brad was certainly in a difficult position to handle the fight.

I won't comment about the rod and I'm not sure I agree with 'high sticking', at the time of rod failure the fish was fairly vertical. I'm just posting the link btw.

Other factors which contributed to the situation included; the shallow bottom and hence the high drag setting (PE8 VarivasGT Max braid), the fish being hooked close to the boat and with plenty of fight left in it; the inability of the boat to maneuver and the inability of the angler to maneuver from his anchor hole.

I'm sure you are familiar with the spot Ah Gu where deep water hits a 200m long line of bombies. The area had big fish all over it with strong currents pushing the bait into the trap. If we'd have had your Kaisar boat we would have landed more than we did. In fact second trip back with kaisar we landed a 45kg fish on a Kaibatsu at the same spot.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Narc

October 14, 2009, 07:37:17 PM
Hi Ah Gun / Adrian,

Brad was certainly in a difficult position to handle the fight.

I won't comment about the rod and I'm not sure I agree with 'high sticking', at the time of rod failure the fish was fairly vertical. I'm just posting the link btw.

Other factors which contributed to the situation included; the shallow bottom and hence the high drag setting (PE8 VarivasGT Max braid), the fish being hooked close to the boat and with plenty of fight left in it; the inability of the boat to maneuver and the inability of the angler to maneuver from his anchor hole.

I'm sure you are familiar with the spot Ah Gu where deep water hits a 200m long line of bombies. The area had big fish all over it with strong currents pushing the bait into the trap. If we'd have had your Kaisar boat we would have landed more than we did. In fact second trip back with kaisar we landed a 45kg fish on a Kaibatsu at the same spot.

Cheers
Andy

No worries about the technicalities... dont want to be mean but the entertainment value of the video is undeniable. kekeke....

Alor definitly packs excitement and opportunities.
I'll have to wait till early next year before I have the chance to head up there again... *itch itch

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2009, 02:39:05 AM
Hi AhGu ,

Here is another one from European forum , the rod broke at the same approximate area ;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3010286783348626990&q=source%3A004334480836485322641&hl=it#docid=-8258680250922300222

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2009, 04:38:16 PM
Guys, I did think seriously about deleting this thread but have decided to let it remain. I want to make the comment that as a forum, we're usually very cautious with what we permit to be posted in terms of broken equipment.

The reason for this is that we don't think that it is fair for discussions that may lead to products being denigrated (often and usually without the appropriate context) are not in the interests of the members at large as it can lead to people being misinformed.

There have been a very small number of rods over the years which have developed a reputation for breaking inexplicably but in the very large majority of cases, these have resulted from abuse, rods being bumped causing some fracturing of the graphite and creating a weak point or angler error such as high sticking.

Few anglers are willing to admit error on their part.

I would also like to make the comment that there is nothing out there that suggest there is any manufacturing fault in the case of the Kaibatsus.

I have seen breakages in nearly every brand of rod out there at some point and many have been inexplicable. That said, I suspect these rods may have copped a bad bump at some time in the recent past prior to breaking. Most examples of breakages I have seen have been caused by angler error or abuse.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Laurent Thiriet

October 17, 2009, 07:44:33 PM
wich rod are they?
where the 2 rods brock, i dont think they had damage caused by shock or injury
I've never heard of broken GT special, it looks to be a stong rod
but if kaybastu is not a strong one, why not tell users what it is?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2009, 09:48:06 PM
Laurent, any GT rod will break if it is abused or if the angler makes a mistake - this goes for a GT Special or anything else out there. I find it unfortunate that there already seems to be an impression that the Kaibatsu has a problem. I just don't think a couple of examples of breakages means there is a problem with the rod.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Laurent Thiriet

October 17, 2009, 10:27:21 PM
on the video of jon li, the rod is not on a bad situation , not on a rush, not a bad angle and it breacks

just want to know wich rod it is

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 06, 2009, 08:50:11 PM
Got 2 Kaibutsus, A Deep Monster and a Long Cast. Found them to be bullet proof and I pop every single weekend so I do not think there are durability issues at hand. Also Shimano have probably sold a lot more Kaibutsus than GT Specials so just one or 2 breakages probably do not signal design faults. Broke my Hots Tide Lez 77XXXH on a 10kg fish but seen a 40kg fish pulled up on one so like I say just one of those things.

AustralianAngling

December 06, 2009, 10:25:51 PM
After many discussions on the breaking of rods and testing done while visiting Japan each year and though difficult from video footage.
I would put first video down to too much drag for this model nothing wrong with rod and second video is certainly in a very high position so to much drag as well hence rod breaking in same position. This area is also where SMITH, CARPENTER and the like will also break if to much drag is applied.
Remember that drag amount decrease the higher you lever rod.
I have attached a rod angle diagram from SMITH.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 17, 2009, 08:14:19 PM
Oh well. Kaibutsu DM broke today on a GT estimated at over 50kg. My mate mmanaged to land the fish and take a pic so the fish must have given up the same time as the rod.
Now here is the strange part. It broke in the lower section just above the reel seat so the top section is intact. Will send back to seller to see if Shimano can id a fault or else try to get a butt section off them. It was my old rod on which I landed my PB GT of 40kg in under 4 minutes so I do not know how much drag the SW18K was putting out when this happened. Have had the rod for a couple of years at least and caught dozens of good GT and YFT on it. Will let you guys know. ???

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 17, 2009, 10:39:53 PM
Brads rod broke immediately above the reel seat also. It was the surface monster by the way.

The fore grip is very long, I wonder if under heavy load it puts too much stress on that point in the handle ??? ???

Love to see a photo of the 50 kegger
Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:44:12 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 18, 2009, 07:47:58 PM
Look like the same place as where my mate broke his. He will be back in town on tomorrow so I will have a look.
You expect the top section to go and I have loaded up a DM so wickedly in the past and it has held.
GT fishing I guess.