Gus Connor

Re: 6500 saltiga spool capacity
October 30, 2009, 08:45:32 PM
hi all

sorry this is off topic fron the original thread but on the subject of splicing on the Safa channel the other night they were jigging using solid core and simply got a sewing needle and went back up the main line at a 45 degree angle at 3mm increments for about 20cm to make a loop in the braid.  and that was it.  Has anyone tried this before?  Is it too simple to be true?  I did it quickly for fun and I couldnt pull the loop undone.
Interested in your thoughts.
Gus

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 30, 2009, 09:43:16 PM
hi all

sorry this is off topic fron the original thread but on the subject of splicing on the Safa channel the other night they were jigging using solid core and simply got a sewing needle and went back up the main line at a 45 degree angle at 3mm increments for about 20cm to make a loop in the braid.  and that was it.  Has anyone tried this before?  Is it too simple to be true?  I did it quickly for fun and I couldnt pull the loop undone.
Interested in your thoughts.
Gus

You have just given me a very evil idea. Let me play with it a bit and I'll report back here

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 31, 2009, 12:50:31 PM
Interesting concepts...

Dave, Doug, looks like people are happy with strength and durability of the hollow.

I'll wind it on to an 18K spool and give it good work out, if I'm happy with it I'll start playing with splicing.

Cheers
A
Set the ray to GeeT

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 04, 2009, 07:27:14 PM
I have been playing with the lil idea I had and here is the report

I dont have any hollow braid on hand but I have 80lb dacron and I used that. The results are encouraging enough for me to load the maverick with 100lb JB hollow for quick and simple leader attachments

Idea first, what I did was instead of inserting the leader from the open end, I first tied hollow to leader about 10 inches up from the leaders tag end with a 7 turn uni the same way one ties the briad to the leader on the double uni knot. Then I poked a hole in the hollow tube next to the uni and grabed the tag end of the leader and inserted it all the way in. Holds extremely well and very quick and easy to do and doesnt require whipping or binding the open end with floss or similar

I am putting as much pressure as I can on it and cant get it to budge. I have maked the leader with permemnet marker just to see if there is any slip

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 04, 2009, 08:10:26 PM
That sounds like a great connection Rohit. I would use a thin smear of UV glue on the tag end inside the hollow braid to finish it off  ;)
I love new ideas ;D

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 04, 2009, 09:00:32 PM
A little off topic, but do any of you have 130lb Tufline and 130lb JB hollow
to do a diameter comparison? I am expecting the JB to be smaller.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Andreas Lesch

November 12, 2009, 02:36:05 AM
Hello is new here and wanted sometimes inquiries which string to her can recommend me. The role is a Daiwa doogfight rod a Ripple fisher Gt82 LC .Hatte to me the Varivas Avani GT SMP or Varivas Avani GT 90 LB select does not know only the difference .Soori for my English is not so great.
Greeting Andrea
P.S fish I act on the Andamanen

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 12, 2009, 01:15:05 PM
Andreas, what you propose looks like a reasonably balanced outfit but as to its suitability, that is hard to say without knowing more of the location, size of fish, terrain etc.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 14, 2009, 09:40:52 PM
Hi Ken,

130lb JB hollow is a fair bit slimmer than 130lb Tufline XP.  The 130lb Tufline guides choice hollow seems to be the same size as 130lb JB hollow i.e. slimmer than 130lb xp......

I'm not sure if it is really practical to use the 130lb XP as a casting line - I think the sacrifice in casting distance would be too big.

Tight lines   Dave