Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
6500 saltiga spool capacity
October 15, 2009, 07:13:44 AM
Hi fellas
I am trying to work out what to run on on a reel I am shortly getting. I am looking at running a PE10 diameter or at least 100lb line rating. For those that have loaded these spools with such lines, I would appreciate finding out what loads you are getting with which lines

Lines I am considering are

PE10 avani tuna
PE10 avani gt
100lb jerry brown
100lb jerry brown hollow
100lb tuffline xp
PE10 sunline jigger8

Any others you can recomend?

Thanks in advance

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: 6500 saltiga spool capacity
October 15, 2009, 07:30:17 AM
You'll get roughly 230 to 250m of PE10 onto a 6500 spool. 100lb JB and TF XP is a little finer than PE10. You'd be looking at 260 to 280m roughly.

If you manage to pack your spools really, really tight, you'll get a bit more on but I've never been able to get on what some other people have claimed.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2009, 08:45:19 AM
Thanks Brandon, thats the kind of figures I have been able to glean trawling through various threads here and there. What would be your recomendation out of all the choices

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 15, 2009, 01:01:37 PM
Rohit, depends on how big your wallet is!   :D

I do like Varivas GT myself but I find the Jerry Brown solid spectra in the 100lb to be excellent, particularly at the price.

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2009, 01:08:03 PM
Hi mate, wallet is very light now I am surviving on my craft. The jerry brown and tuffline xp are pretty much on my short list. I previously bought some 100lb sufix for the shperos but It breaks at 20kg max, supposed to be 44kg so a bit shy now. The stupid suffix cost $200 for 600 yard spool and is thick as cord! Got burnt there

Who stocks the jerry brown?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 16, 2009, 02:26:45 AM
You had to put the link up and I had to browes thier catalogue and see the damn red JM fighting belt  :o  ;D

The line looks good value at that price for 600y and they sell line grippers too. The shopping list is not gunna get any shorter ina hurry is it  ::)

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2009, 07:49:29 PM
Rohit i have the 6500 dogfight and use tuf line for some reason 50 lb tuf line is quite thin 65 pounds the diameter goes up bigtime quite a shock  i reckon i can get about 350 yards of the 65 havent messured it could be less or slightly more reckon less  though as have 1200m spool  but  100lb  maybe 250  cheers
Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:52:21 PM by gareth branicki

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 24, 2009, 04:47:41 PM
Rohit, depends on how big your wallet is!   :D

I do like Varivas GT myself but I find the Jerry Brown solid spectra in the 100lb to be excellent, particularly at the price.

After hearing good things about Jerry Brown and seeing the very affordable price I decided I'd pick up a spool of the 100lb solid spectra and compare it with the Varivas I usually use. The JB arrived in the correct poundage but I see it is the hollow version, the shop where I bought it is temporarily closed and I won't be open again before my GT trip in Mid Nov.

My question; Is the hollow braid as good as the solid?? I don't want to splice, just the usual friction and bimini's. Should I risk using this on a precious GT trip?? or should I keep it in the draw and use varivas??

Thanks
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2009, 09:11:27 PM
Andy, others may disagree but I see the hollow as different from the solid. If you buy a hollow line, you buy it primarily for the ability to splice the line. I do not know anyone who buys the hollow line in order to tie friction knots or bimimis. You can definitely tie bimimis and friction knots with hollow line though.

If anyone does, please provide some feedback for Andy.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2009, 10:32:39 PM
Thanks for your reply Brandon, the main question now is...is the hollow, which came by mistake, as durable/tuff as the Solid?

Set the ray to GeeT

Doug Mcleod1

October 29, 2009, 10:42:27 PM
Hi Guys
I have been using Jerry Brown now for about 3 years and have found the main difference between the hollow vs the solid is , the hollow apart from being splicable ( which is handy for topping up a low spool) is it is quite a bit finer in the weave compared to the solid line , which in theory will give you a slight advantage when casting and it is certainly a bit quieter over the guides under load . For me I use the hollow , it costs a bit more , but you save time and money on re spooling by splicing in a new section when needed  , which is very handy when you are away for 7 to 10 days on a trip and get reefed a couple of times . I do tend to knot the leader connection rather than splice. I use either a Bimini connection or the FG knot and have found them no different to tie in either the hollow or the solid.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2009, 11:09:47 PM
Hi Guys
I have been using Jerry Brown now for about 3 years and have found the main difference between the hollow vs the solid is , the hollow apart from being splicable ( which is handy for topping up a low spool) is it is quite a bit finer in the weave compared to the solid line , which in theory will give you a slight advantage when casting and it is certainly a bit quieter over the guides under load . For me I use the hollow , it costs a bit more , but you save time and money on re spooling by splicing in a new section when needed  , which is very handy when you are away for 7 to 10 days on a trip and get reefed a couple of times . I do tend to knot the leader connection rather than splice. I use either a Bimini connection or the FG knot and have found them no different to tie in either the hollow or the solid.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your insights, that's a good economical concept, topping up your spool by splicing.

Pardon my ignorance, but I guess you could splice top shots of solid braid into that base of hollow right??
Set the ray to GeeT

Doug Mcleod1

October 30, 2009, 06:11:12 PM
Hi Andy
I believe it is possible to splice solid into hollow , but it's something I have not really experimented with at this stage. Hollow to hollow is quite simple to do using a loop needle or a piece of around 100lb single strand wire if you don't have a needle. Sorry I cant help you with the solid to hollow at this stage ,but you have made me curious as to the best way to join the two , maybe it's time for me to do a bit more experimenting!!
As for the durability of the two , i think you will find that both solid & hollow are quite durable/tuff , with the hollow having a slight edge over the solid. I have no scientific data to prove or disprove this , it's just my observations over the time I have been using Jerry Brown.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2009, 08:13:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I've used hollowcore on my last 4 trips with decent results in 100lb and 130lb.  Seems very reliable stuff.

Andy - why not try a splice?  Its pretty quick to do and you get a 100% connection - you've ended up with hollowcore so why not give it a try - nothing to lose!

Tight lines   Dave