Caleb Martin

Advice for a newbie
November 22, 2009, 08:58:56 PM
Hi all, first post of hopefully many for me!

I've been browsing through the forum for a few weeks now and it's obvious there is plenty of knowledge and experience amongst the members. I'm heading to Rarotonga for a week fishing in February next year and have got myself a Saltiga 6000GT and Shimano T-Curve GT special PE 3-8. My next issue is which line to go with. Any recommendations on weight, brand or hollow/solid core lines? I appreciate I'll probably get a half dozen different opinions but look forward to hearing what others have to think. Also, has anyone fished Rarotonga? We'll be staying on the main island, I'm already looking forward to writing up the report! ;D

Cheers in advance,
Caleb

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice for a newbie
November 22, 2009, 09:21:49 PM
Go with Jerry Brown Spectra Braid in 80lb.....or 80lb Tuff line XP.

Both are well priced and very reliable.

Pete

Caleb Martin

November 24, 2009, 07:55:31 AM
Great thanks Peter, I'll probably look at getting some tufline if theres a New Zealand agent for them, I work in a fishing shop so should be able to get it cheap. Any point in going to 100lb?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2009, 08:13:37 AM
the rod can certainly handle 100lb but you might need to move to a 6500 spool for 100lb TF XP. The 6000 will not take much 100lb.

You need to balance this off against the fact that 100lb will not cast as well as 80lb. I'm not familiar with the Cook Islands. Is it tough terrain and what kind of casting distance do you need?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Caleb Martin

November 24, 2009, 08:50:07 AM
Thats a good point Brandon, I hadn't really given spool capacity too much thought. This is my first trip to the Islands so I'm as green as they come! I'll be on a charter a couple of days and casting into some of the channels into the lagoon other days. Because this is my first trip I'm keen just to target anything that swims and puts up a scrap when it's hooked ;D Not sure on casting distances required but probably better to have the ability to cast longer distances.

Chris and Matt at BCS enteprises have been supplying the poppers, gloves etc. and Matt put me onto this site. You may know him Brandon? Thoughts on the zest line of poppers?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2009, 01:29:43 PM
if in doubt, I'd probably go with the 80lb. The 80lb TF XP probably breaks well above 100lb anyway and it definitely casts better. The 100lb feels quite waxy and I personally don't like it much. If you want to use 100lb, I'd suggest you got Jerry Brown solid spectra.

I don't know Matt, Caleb. On Zest, I can't give you an opinion. I've used their jigs but not their poppers. I wasn't aware that they made line either.

I hope you have a good trip to the Cook Islands. It doesn't seem to register much on our GT radar so we'd love a trip report from you when you return   ;)
If it swims; I want to catch it!