Cy and Kerrin Taylor

Wreck Rock
June 19, 2007, 11:12:43 PM
Hi,

North of Bundaberg there is a place called Wreck Rock which needs a 4WD to access the area.

After staying there for two days we think it is a crazy area for Big GT.

It's a series of big rocky outcrops in the middle of a long beach.

Here is our story:

We were fishing land based for flathead with soft plastics around the rocks when we noticed a massive school of showering mullet and hardiheads.

We quickly tied on the only surface lures we had, a Bushy Stiffy Fizzer and a Killalure Cone Popper. Standing on the rocks, we then cast them out on 2 x 2500 size flathead outfits into the mayhem!

After 5 casts, a huge GT side-slammed the fizzer which was over 23kg. It then went on a huge run taking a large amount of line out to sea. It kept running so we had to stop the spool. It broke at the leader.

3 casts later, another fish came up and engulfed the Killalure, of around 22kg. It ran for a few seconds and then snapped the leader. We could see the lure floating so we waited for a few minutes and it floated back to us. Lucky!

We tied it on fast and got it back out there again. After a few casts were made, we were slammed again and another GT of about 20kg started taking line from the flathead rod.

Unfortunately, after an awesome run the leader again snapped and we were out of topwater lures.

We then saw the biggest GT we have ever seen chasing ribbonfish. It looked over 50kg; it was a giant fish.

All we could do was look on as the baits were being chased around the rocks! Damn.

Wreck Rock is worth a look if you are travelling down the QLD coast by 4WD. It is a great LBGT spot. Just make sure you remember to bring your big-fish gear!!!

Cy and Kerrin Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

lonhro

Re: Wreck Rock
June 20, 2007, 10:30:08 AM
Wow, thats sounds amazing.
just a shame you were unlucky enough not to have your heavy outfits with you.

Cheers Randy

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 20, 2007, 10:45:02 AM
 Yeah, looks good on Google maps, there is some interesting spots around the Agnes Waters / 1770 area.
 Did you guys go in from Agnes Waters or Bundy?, the road looks good from the Bundy side.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 20, 2007, 03:59:22 PM
Are you planing a trip Bun [Greg]
How many hours drive from your place Bun im guessing 4 max
Bugger about the only time i wish i was still there.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 20, 2007, 06:10:40 PM
 Yeah, four hours would do it these days. Looked up around there in the 1980's when I was going to build on some land I had at Hervey Bay opposite Kingfisher Bay. I love that area form 1770 to Double Island Point [your favorite] and Fraser Is, had a boat built for it by Kevlacat on the same hull as the Nomad dories, on a trailer that could launch off a beach.
 If I new then what I know now, 'WOW'. :o ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cy and Kerrin Taylor

June 20, 2007, 06:53:11 PM
Greg,

We drove along the 4WD track from Agnes Waters.

There were MASSIVE amounts of mullet and hardiheads and they were all using the rocks as shelter on high tide; staying in the lagoon.

On the lowering tide GT were hunting them as they were forced out of the lagoon.

That's when we got smashed up and lost our lures.

It was heaps of fun! We're hooked!!!

;D

C&K

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 21, 2007, 11:49:15 AM
Cy and Kerrin Taylor did you manage to get any flathead though.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Cy and Kerrin Taylor

June 21, 2007, 12:49:28 PM
Cam,

There is a lot of big flathead around there too.We caught heaps of flathead on prawn and baitfish plastics. We even caught them wading and casting towards the shore! All of them were caught casting in 20cm - 1m deep.

That's before we found the GT though... :D

C&K

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 21, 2007, 01:27:00 PM
Hmm..... should I target flathead or GTs....not a hard decision is it  :)

I wish when I was up that way I had taken gear with me to try out all these areas like Bundy, Whitsundays,Fraser etc....saw some nice fish at Heron Island snorkelling - but dont think they would have liked me fishing off the beach there.

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 25, 2007, 10:14:27 PM
I was at the Double Island point look out on sunday and managed to see/raise a few GT's off the rocks, yes poppers, none committed but seems promising in the right conditions. I would be keen to go to this Wolf Rock but cant seem to google it.... any tips.....    :)

8)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2007, 10:39:15 PM
I think Wolf rock is a new NO FISHING area.
Greg 'FFF' Burt