Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Pliers
November 27, 2009, 06:47:29 PM
These have been around for a little while in the guise of Ocean Revolution branded pliers, they were pretty pricey - somewhere around the $120US mark I think?

Anyway I was wandering the local tackle store (australia wide franchise that sell some very ordinairy poppers) and came across the same plier branded as Black Magic.  Picked them up for $90 after discount, listed at $99.  Expensive but seemed ok compared to getting a pair from the states.  I first saw them on a trip with Mick - they really are great compared to the Owners I currently use.  Aluminium construction, replaceable tungsten cutting blade (easily cuts braid) large and smaller split ring pliers, replaceable jaw - pretty nifty really.

Only gripe would be the casting on the jaw is a little bit pockholed, on the unfinished surface - hopefully the cast integrity os ok though, time will tell. 

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: New Pliers
November 27, 2009, 07:30:41 PM
hi Travis.

just a question if it is ok and with-out being rude,

i have thought about getting that pair myself to,  what are they like in opening up 300lb Decoy split rings?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 07:51:28 PM
Made in China, funny you posted this today, I have an OR branded set. The metal in the jaws is very soft I bent them wide open today admittedly not opening a split ring just bending some wire on a lure, I thought they would be stronger than that!!

I still get deformation on Owner 11H using these piers.
Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:55:21 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 09:03:18 PM
Made in China, funny you posted this today, I have an OR branded set. The metal in the jaws is very soft I bent them wide open today admittedly not opening a split ring just bending some wire on a lure, I thought they would be stronger than that!!

Hi Andy ,

Is this the same plier Gus uses on our trip ?

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 09:03:49 PM
I'm pretty happy with my pair.  They open split rings and cut braid and mono and take barbs off nicely - I would be careful doing anything other than these activities with them though...they could go out of shape.  They do seem to be pretty rust/corrosion resistant and don't seize up.

For what its worth the owner pliers are pretty much as good (don't cut as cleanly) and seem to be a tougher unit.....but they can rust up/seize up ater a couple of days on the salt unless cleaned and oiled.

Cheers   Dave

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 27, 2009, 09:25:40 PM
I have the OR pliers, Owner Pliers, Daiwa Pliers and Accurate as well. So far I think the best on size 10 split rings and up are the Owners, with the OR pliers a close second. On sizes smaller I tend to use the Daiwa pliers the most because they can get inside the ring better (maybe I should re-phrase this) they are smaller!! Again the OR pliers come a close second on the sizes down to 7. Forget about the Accurate pliers in the split ring format. They just don't work as good as the cheaper stuff.
If I am going on a trip I take the Owners and the OR pliers with me. Best of both worlds with a back up plan ;)

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 11:00:55 PM
I bought a pair of them black magic ones, after cutting braid for one session I took them back to the tacklo as they stopped cutting braid, thumbs down

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 11:24:23 PM
I've been using my OR ones for some time now. They're an excellent pair of split ring pliers. The jaws are about the same as the Owners and Duos. I've found the cutting jaws to be excellent as well. They cut everything including kevlar assist cord.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2009, 11:45:53 PM
I've been using my OR ones for some time now. They're an excellent pair of split ring pliers. The jaws are about the same as the Owners and Duos. I've found the cutting jaws to be excellent as well. They cut everything including kevlar assist cord.

Yeah I agree RE Ocean Revolution pliers.

Are these Black Magic ones the "same" plier as the OR ones (rebranded)? or is it a copy?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 01:04:29 AM
Jay, from what I understand, the pliers are from the same factory. One of the hazards of getting things made in China, unfortunately.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 02:29:10 AM
Jay, from what I understand, the pliers are from the same factory. One of the hazards of getting things made in China, unfortunately.

What I heard from many importer of Chinese goods , the factory can tailor made the quality of the products depending on the price the customer is willing to pay .  :-[

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 11:37:59 AM
Trevis .
you must have fell in love with my plier when i lent to him to do some cutting  :D :D and he was surprised how good it was and i told him about about the black magic plier  ;) as i think it was the same plier to me ::).

as i have the OR plier but the small problem i find with them is the screw is coming loose . so i think it need a lock screw glue to stop this from happening hope this will help few ppl who have the same problem as i have .
Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:13:32 PM by Mick Cunningham

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 12:23:29 PM
Which screw Mick?

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 12:48:20 PM
Which screw Mick?

well it,s the big screw that hold,s the two part of the plier
not the cutter or tip screw .

as i notice that i had troble rigging up few time and i found out the main problem.
when i release it the plier . the screw lead,s to loosen
Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:12:51 PM by Mick Cunningham

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 28, 2009, 01:40:10 PM

Hi Andy ,

Is this the same plier Gus uses on our trip ?

Jon .

Jon, Yes same plier, I just got mine through APS with the OR brand, personally I don't like them, IMO there are better tools for big rings. ;)
Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:14:58 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT