Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hi guys can someone advise me on the above info -what length and how to tie the knots onto the trebles .cheers

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Brandon is this normal to do this
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
something funny has happened - my last post seems to have disappeared. Of course, I might have done something stupid seeing I have mod access.

My last post stated that if the concern Mark had was that there wasn't enough flexibility with a split ring, he could consider using two split rings instead of one.

Cam - there is nothing unusual in going with two split rings. It is quite common for barra fisherman to do this. One fo the problems with using a single ring with GTs is when the fish hooks up with both trebles. At certain angles, the fish can exert direct pressure onto the hook or the ring and this is what causes a failure in your terminals. Big GTs can exert an amazing amount of pressure onto your terminals. If you use two rings, there is a lot more flexibility and length, not unlike if you used an assist cord.

if you have fished for GTs a lot before, you'd have experienced that a hookup with a treble is never 100% and that it is not unusual to lose a fish even after quite a long fight when the hook drops out. On the other hand, it is rare for this to happen with a single, particularly if attached with an assist
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Here are two resources that should help you:

Making Assist PDF 1
Making Assist PDF 2

As for length, this is up to you. I like to have them relatively close the the body of the lure otherwise they can swing and tangle too much, too short and they aren't any better than using a split ring. You can also rig them from the eyelet of the lure in which you would want a slightly longer assist in my opinion (but they can also be very prone to tanlge!).

Hope this helps...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
You also want to avoid having assists too long so that you reduce the chances of hooking the fish somewhere other than the mouth.

Hal Harvey

You might prefer to try it this way...

Assist hook rigging quick and easy

MikeOsborn

Thats how I tie my assists and is quite possibly the easiest way to do it. Especially when the Barracouta are mixed in with the kings and assist hooks have a habit of dissapearing  :'( (cam will know what I am on about)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hal - what does removing the inner core do? Does it matter if you leave it in there when tying it?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Yip ,the kuta suck .
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Hal Harvey

what does removing the inner core do?
As best I can tell it's there just as a function of how the material is manufactured, but it serves no purpose for fishing. It offers no additional strength or abrasion resistance - it's not fixed to the outer in any way. The cord ties better and flatter without it there.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It makes good material for lite tackle assists! ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It makes good material for lite tackle assists! ;D

really or are you just kidding?!

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Hal that may just work for me now just got to keep the sharks away from the poppers when we go to bassas again

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brandon, got this info from our WA friends.
 "Not sure if the inner core is Dyneema and the outer is Kevlar, definitely not sure of the breaking strain of the inner core, however I can say that yes the inner core can be used for making assists. One of the charter operators over here uses the inner core for his sambo jigging as well as the outer".

Greg 'FFF' Burt