Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Braid
December 04, 2009, 11:32:55 PM
Need help again guys?

I'm about to purchase the varivas 130lb braid from Fish head before the eminent trip that i cannot stop thinking about!

My reel is spooled with 100lb braid that i bought approx 3 years ago. (thought this would be ok)

Did a dodgy test tonight with a uni tied to a bottle, and me walking backwards and my friend holding the bottle. Locked up the dog fight and walked backwards only to have the line snap about 3 inch's from the knot. Tried it before with just under lock up and it let out line, but upon lock up no good - i thought given the poundage i thought it should run at full drag.

Cant remember the brand of the line i bought, but i remember paying about 400 bucks for 1000 yards, and it is thin and has held up well to date. Someone has caught a 120kg marlin on it without issue - But that was in open water.

Any advice - much appreciated

Cheers
Sam

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Braid
December 05, 2009, 09:18:50 AM
The line may very well have been damaged that close to the knot from your previous trip. How many trips has it done?  I know people who have run the same spool of braid for a few years without any trouble. I think the braid in itself would be fine. It is just what damage you've done it from previous usage. A long drawn out fight with a billfish which keeps jumping puts a lot of strain on the braid. Also if you've used the braid in really tough terrain, it may have some little nicks in it.

I'd run the test a few more times including imposing a shock test on the braid. I suppose one of the key considerations is seeing you're going on a trip you're really looking forward to, do you want to take the chance with an old spool of line? Is it worth taking that chance?

The other thing to take into consideration is that while Varivas GT is widely regarded as one of the best braids, you don't need it - it is a "nice to have". In comparison to most other braids, it will cast better (probably excepting Ultra Castman which has similar casting characteristics) but you pay a very significant premium for this.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 11:24:03 AM
Cheers Brandon,

Mate its like you say, i am pretty happy with all other aspects of my gear. I don't want to leave with the doubt in my head over the line - Purchasing the braid today.

Hey Brandon, i've looked at a lot of your posts on tackle, rods, reels etc. You are quite a wealth of knowledge on these topics. Have to say though, i thought you would of caught a bigger GT by now, rather than that piss pot one in the photo.  ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 11:41:08 AM
He was actually after a Bream  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 11:47:16 AM
mate, if in doubt, don't take any chances whatsoever. Also, if you're gong on a long trip, always take a spare roll of braid with you because it only takes one snap-of on the spool and you're ^%^&!. You don't have to go overboard and buy a dozen spare spools but I can tell you from experience that it doesn't hurt to have one or two.

What's wrong with my GT in my photo?! I was very proud of that one. I didn't cheat and use a bream lure - I've been on a mission to catch the smallest GT I can on a proper lure and that one takes the cake so far. That one took a full sized Tackle House Shibuki on PE6 line. The lure was pretty much the same length as the fish     :D

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 02:17:08 PM
Is that all you got Brandon....toughen up..!!

Ive caught GT's here at Noosa half that size again....they fit in the palm of your hand. :D :D

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 03:16:00 PM
yes, but you didn't catch them on a lure meant for a real fish!!   ;D

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 05:43:22 PM
arrghh ok....So the game is a big (normal GT popper) to catch the smallest GT...????

I reckon people would look at me funny throwing 150g poppers in the river here... :D :D :D

Got this little fella on 4lb yesterday....Bit of fun for when you come up.
Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:45:14 PM by Peter Morris

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 07:16:06 PM
arrghh ok....So the game is a big (normal GT popper) to catch the smallest GT...????

I reckon people would look at me funny throwing 150g poppers in the river here... :D :D :D

Got this little fella on 4lb yesterday....Bit of fun for when you come up.

Great photo Peter!!
Set the ray to GeeT

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 05, 2009, 08:15:53 PM
hi sam,

as brandon said varivas GT avani is an expensive braid, but if i have the money i will not compromise as i rate it very high. once u use it, u will not think of any other braid

cheers
bertrand

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 06, 2009, 12:41:38 PM
That's a bloody great photo, Pete. Now, you've got to try to catch oneof those on. Fullscale King Kong or  an I Cup. :D

Paul Chan

• Fusilier
  • Here...fishy...fishy...fishy !!
  • Liked:
December 06, 2009, 04:32:08 PM
Aarrrhh... I just have to login to check out your GT photo! I have to catch one too... ;D

Paul CHAN

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 06, 2009, 05:21:21 PM
you might be disappointed if you're expecting to see a monster class fish